Thursday, August 29, 2013

Maximus Seventeen: Friendly Advice

Patrick and I are sitting around talking when Dustin comes over. Patrick follows me to the door and looks at Dustin, then tells me that he thinks Dustin looks sad. I'm pretty impressed with Patrick being able to tell that because Dustin is smiling. Another thing I've noticed about Patrick since he was rescued is that he's become very observant about other people, and he can accurately tell what they're feeling most of the time just by looking at them. In a way, it was something good that came from him being kidnapped. Dustin looks different, he's gotten a haircut and he's gotten rid of the stubble he's had ever since I met him.


"Hey, dude, what's up? You look so different."

"Haha, yeah, Helena thought I needed a makeover. She thought the longer hair and stubble wasn't professional or something. I kind of liked it, but I guess, you know, it's not a big deal, so I changed it. Just thought I'd swing by before work to chat with you. I haven't seen you in a month or two."

"Yeah, man. How's the new house?"

"It's pretty good. Helena had a lot of fun decorating it. We've been doing a lot of home improvement store shopping."

"You let Helena do all the decorating? It's not all frilly and girly, is it? Haha, I'm just kidding, dude."

"Yeah, I know. I figured since she wants to be a stay at home wife that she could have the house look the way she wants it to. I think she's kind of depressed though, despite all the stuff I've been doing for her. I thought she'd be happy, but I don't know what's wrong with her. I've asked her, but most times she just ignores me. I wonder if she's regretting marrying me or something."


"Aw, no dude, don't go there. The last thing you need is to doubt yourself. Helena said yes, that's what you have to remember, okay? Believe me, she didn't ever take wanting to be married lightly. She's always talked about it, even when we were teenagers. She's always wanted to be married. She'd never regret that. Just give her some time to tell you whatever it is that's bothering her."

"Thanks, Max, I knew coming over and talking to you was going to make me feel better."

"You're welcome. How is she adjusting to your work schedule?"

"Well, I made it so I wouldn't have any big out of town projects for about six months to a year so I could get settled in to my house and so I could spend time with Helena. I'm going to have to figure that out with her when the time comes. Max, do you think Helena would open up to a girl about her problems?"

"Maybe. It could be that she just misses Soleil. In fact, Soleil told me Helena called and said she'd been invited over to your guys' house to hang out today."

"See? That's what I mean, Max. I wish Helena would communicate with me. She always makes me tell her everything about what I'm doing, where I'm going, who I'm hanging out with, but then she never tells me anything when I ask her. It seems like Soleil tells you everything."


"Not to brag, but that is the truth. Soleil and I tell each other everything."

"I wish Helena could get over some of her insecurities long enough to not be scared to tell me things."


Never in a million years did I expect to see what I saw when I went over to Helena and Dustin's house and saw Helena. The entire time I had known her she had long hair, but now she barely had any hair on her head. It didn't look bad, but I wondered why she did it. She had always complained that she didn't feel confident in her appearance, but she never really took my advice any time I went shopping with her to pick new clothes out. Maybe her new hairstyle gave her confidence. At least I hoped it did.


"Hi Soleil. Thanks for coming over."

"You're welcome. How's married life?"

"It's good. I love being Mrs. Xavier, although I am a little saddened to get back to regular life. The honeymoon was great, and I loved Hawaii. Dustin makes plenty of money, which is great cause I can just stay at home and be a wife and mother."

"It sounds like you have everything you finally wanted, Helena."


"Well, I'm not pregnant yet, and I've been a little scared to ask Dustin about it."

"Why? Does he not like children?"

"No, that's not it, but I don't know. It's like I'm not sure that he'll be as excited as I am because of what happened with Patrick, like he might think I'll lose our child if we have one. I'm scared he'll say no because he doesn't trust me."

"Helena, if Dustin knows that you want to be a mother, I'm sure he's not just going to flat out say no to you. He loves you, he wouldn't deny something to you that was that important, you know? Have you talked to him about it?"

"No, I've actually been kind of depressed because of it. I mean, we're doing, you know, that, but it's not like we're purposely trying to have a baby."

"I think then, in that case, you need to tell Dustin about it, even if you're scared. He's your husband, he'll comfort you, and it's obvious you guys are not hard up for cash, so you can definitely afford the costs that come with having a baby. Your house is beautiful, by the way."


"Oh yeah? You think so? Thank you, Soleil."

"Yeah! You're welcome."

"How have you and Max been since my wedding? Have you given any thought to getting married yourself?"

"We've been good, and no, we're not getting married. We're happy with things the way they are."

"Really? Every time I saw someone else get married, I always felt a pang of sadness because I wasn't."


"Yes, really. Max and I are together, and that's what's important to me. What's with your hair, Helena? You've had it long ever since I've known you."

"Oh, I don't know. I thought it looked more grown up."

"Has Dustin seen it yet?"

"Yeah, we both went to get haircuts at the same time. I thought we both needed new looks since we're married now."

I don't really understand Helena, but I know the urge to change something happens to a lot of people when they make a big life decision. Personally if I had to pick a life change, I would go the route of dyeing my hair rather than cutting it all off, but I'm respecting Helena's choice. I'm not going to argue with her over something so trivial.


"Well, Helena, I better get back home. Patrick will be off school in about an hour, and Max is at work. It was good seeing you."

"Thanks, Soleil, for coming over. I know I haven't always been the best friend you deserve."

"It's okay, we're good now. Don't worry about it, honey."


After Soleil left, I sat on my couch for a long while thinking about what she had said. She's right, I shouldn't be scared to tell Dustin anything, he's my husband. I don't even know why I'm always so scared all the time, but I think I just don't trust anyone. I just assume they're all going to hate me, so I push them away as a defense mechanism. I need to trust that Dustin won't just leave me if I tell him things that are bothering me. The clock on my phone says it's almost five o'clock, which is when Dustin gets off work. He should be back in about thirty minutes, so I should start dinner.


As I go into the kitchen, I think about what I should make for dinner. I had gone grocery shopping the other day, and there were plenty of things to choose from. I finally decide on fettucine alfredo and am still cooking when I hear the front door open. I guess he's back early, which I adore.

"Hi, Helena!"

"Dustin! I'm in the kitchen."

When I feel Dustin's arms around me, I don't even know why I was scared of talking to him.

"Hello, Mrs. Xavier. Dinner smells wonderful, just like you."


"Aww, thank you, Mr. Xavier. How was hanging out with Max? Did you boys have fun?"

"Yes we did. He helped me work through some things. He also said you hung out with Soleil today?"

"That's right. She and I talked and made me realize that I shouldn't be shutting you out. I've just been scared of pushing you away."

"Does that mean you're ready to talk about why you've been depressed?"

"Yeah, over dinner. Does that sound okay?"


"Of course. I've been trying to figure out why you're sad, as you know, by asking you what's wrong, but you just ignored me. Max said if I just gave you space and let you come tell me when you are ready, then it might work better. You don't need to be scared, either. I love you, Helena."

"Oh Dustin, I'm sorry. I don't want to ignore you. I love you too."

"All right. What's going on?"

"I want to start actively trying to have a baby."

"That sounds good."

"Really? You're not going to fight me on it?"

"Um, no. Why would I fight you about this?"


"I don't know. I just thought you'd think me incapable of taking care of a child since I lost Patrick that day."

"No, honey. I think your jealousy needs to not be first priority, especially when there is a child around, but I never thought you were incapable."


I can't believe how lucky I am. A few years ago, I was just the awkward girl in the corner, not able to talk to any of the guys or hold a relationship for longer than two weeks, but now, I am married to a wonderful man and going to start a family with him. I finally am on the way to getting everything I've ever wanted.

28 comments:

  1. Awwww - Helena is such a funny onion!!! They both look very nice with their makeovers. Can't wait to see their baby - I'm sure Patrick will love having a little cousin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Helena is a silly person for sure. Glad you like the makeovers. Thanks for reading and commenting. =)

      Delete
  2. Wow Dustin looks like a completely different person without the stubble! And Helena looks different too. Is it my imagination, or is she not as blue as she used to be. She looks somewhat lighter to me. LOL. Great chapter! I liked seeing a vunerable side of Helena, and not being judgemental and rude. Seems like married life is doing a world of good for her! I hope they are able to get pregnant soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I didn't change Helena's skin tone, so maybe the color of clothes she is wearing is making her skin look different. She is not a bad person, but she's so awkward and her opinions come out in very wrong ways a lot of times. Thanks for reading and commenting! =)

      Delete
  3. whoa! helena and dustin look so different. it's amazing how a makeover changes your features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah they do look really different. Thanks for reading and commenting! =)

      Delete
  4. Damn, they look so different! Wow hahaha Dustin still looks hot, and Helena looks older and more mature I feel.
    Dustin's so great, there was like, no hesitation when Helena mentioned wanting a baby. So cute T_T

    .....
    *cuddles Patrick to death again*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFL. Haha, yeah Dustin doesn't have a problem with the baby thing. Financially, they're in a great place to have one since Dustin's movie career is going really well, and he plans to keep with it. They also have great friends who wouldn't mind babysitting so he didn't really see any reason why Helena couldn't have what she wanted. It's probably like the one reasonable request she's made her entire life. LOL. Makeovers are crazy, LOL, I was like O_O even after I changed them and was taking pictures of them. Hehe, Patrick... his cuteness knows no bounds.

      Delete
  5. I just hope St. Dustin doesn't let her walk all over him too much... It needs to be give and take... *sigh* typical Helena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... *sigh* I hope he doesn't become whipped either. It's so sad when guys let their wives turn them into their bitch. LOL.

      Delete
  6. Why is it whenever Helena is around I am always saying poor - this person, or poor, that person.
    Poor Dustin is losing his 'self'. He looks good.... I can't say that Helena's makeover does anything for her though. She looks bitter and too boyish. I dunno, to me she looks like she is trying to be masculine and take Dustin's masculinity away from him. Maybe it's her way of keeping control. Maybe I read too much into things *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I'll forgive you for repeating the word poor. ROFL. Seriously though, I bet it's because Helena's always pissing people off, controlling them, and putting them down, anyone would be "poor" interacting with her and her nonsense.
      Mmm. Dustin looks damn fine, ROFL. Nope, you're not reading too much into it, you are completely right about Helena wanting to be in control and making Dustin do her bidding. Helena's never focused on herself at all and she makes it a habit of controlling everyone around her and meddling in their lives. Now that she has a husband, she's going to focus most of her controlling nature onto him. Her makeover was supposed to make her look boyish and uninspiring, I'm glad it came across that way to you. =)

      Delete
  7. Love their new hair-do's, though I did really like Dustin's before better. Glad Helena is finally starting to see that not everyone is out to get her. :D Dustin is awesome for her and I think, she just might be a good mom (as long as she doesn't continue to be paranoid...lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, their makeovers. I was really torn giving Dustin his makeover because I loved him with stubble and that long sexy hair that kind of fell over his eyes. *faints* But, for the story line, I felt like Helena would be one of those women who was against stubble and "hair in the eye" haircuts for guys, so that's what made me pick Dustin's look. LOL.
      Helena just needed some love, apparently. She also finally opened up to someone, and let down her defensive walls, which allowed good feelings to be had between both her and Dustin. Being a mom is tough for any first time parent, so she'll have to learn, just like anyone else. LOL.

      Delete
  8. Why do I have the feeling that things aren't going to run smoothly for these two? Helena has a great man who works hard and loves her dearly. She stands on the threshold of having everything she ever wanted. Please don't ruin it Helena!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably because you've been paying attention to Helena's behavior, and how she tends to ruin stuff for herself when she lets one of her emotions get out of control. Dustin loves her, and he doesn't mind giving her what she wants, he wants her to be happy. You're right, Helena is at a fork in the road, all she has to do is be normal and things will be fine... but you know Helena's not normal in any way...
      Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  9. Helena still has some maturing to do, but at least she's willing to take advice and talk to Dustin instead of holding things in and making herself depressed. I think Helena's haircut suits her. She has a pretty face. I don't think all women need to have long hair to look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This chapter, Helena was finally opening up to her friends, and facing her fears. Let's just hope it sticks. Haha, yeah, Helena likes her haircut, she wanted to feel more mature, and she thought the short style would help her do that. Aww T_T, Helena appreciates that you think she's pretty. :)

      Delete
  10. Aww man I wish Dustin would've kept his stubble...I always found facial hair attractive but who knows maybe he will grow it back :) I like his new hair style and Helena's they definitely do look more mature. It's nice she finally told him she wanted a baby and he's not upset about it....she was freaking out over nothing...as usual lol but Soleil looks so pretty in that dress. Patrick is very observant and thats a good quality to have. I hope the baby doesn't make Helena and Dustin grow apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? I liked Dustin's facial hair too, but with the way Helena's personality was, I felt like she was the kind of wife who would force her husband to be clean shaven all the time, LOL. Haha, yeah, Dustin has no problem with children, so he didn't think there would be any reason to fight with Helena, since he loves her. Helena always freaks out over nothing, LOL, most of the things she worries about are things she made up in her mind. Aww thanks, XD I like Soleil's style, haha, she's so trendy all the time, but doesn't follow stupid trends, LOL. When Patrick aged up to child, he got the Perceptive trait, haha. You'll just have to read on to see what happens with Helena and Dustin. XD

      Delete
  11. Until this chapter, I was guessing that maybe Helena had forced Dustin to marry her. Like she even blackmailed him about some sort of corpse he hides in his closet -- drug dealing, whatever. I guess that's the writer functioning more than the reader. Just because, like you said, since they are a side plot, we did not see much of their relationship and how it evolved to marriage.

    But Dustin does love her, and she loves him too. I'm so happy about this. Hard to like as she is, Helena is still my preferred character in this story.

    Their new looks made them look more modern and match each other. To be honest, Helena looks so cool that she makes Soleil look a bit too conventional and girly, even (I guess I'll have to mention to my therapist my difficulties with liking Soleil and enjoying her antagonist instead, ha-ha!)

    Her guilt about having lost Patrick is so heart-wrenching. I hope she won't suffocate her own child, if she gets the baby she wants, and overprotect him or her. Maybe she should apologize to Patrick directly, that might unburden her -- and I've enjoyed how that terrible event has brought a good quality to him, as mentioned at the start of the chapter.

    Lovely update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that certainly would have been a very sinister twist had I used blackmail to bring Helena and Dustin together. XD But no, it's just a small love story, Dustin perhaps saw something in Helena that he felt sorry for and wanted to help her because Helena really is a nice girl, despite all of her shortcomings. Helena was desperate for love, so she attached herself to the first boy who paid attention to her. LOL. Helena didn't strike me as an "evil" character, with malice in her heart, she's just awkward socially and doesn't know that she's rubbing people the wrong way most of the time. LOL. Helena also doesn't appreciate "getting help" from people, so when people tell her she needs help, she lashes out and then shows that crazy side of her that we all know shines so bright sometimes. Hopefully with Dustin, she can learn to open up a little more since he does show her the love she is so desperate for.

      Haha,well we have to remember that Soleil's job is being a model, and although there are some models with short hair, Soleil is not one of them. Her outfits and style will always be more on the girly, showy side. I am happy that you enjoy Helena's new look. I myself, don't prefer Helena's hairstyle, but I thought it would be something that Helena would want, seeing the kind of personality she has, so I gave it to her. :) It's quite funny, because I wrote Helena as the antagonist in my story. XD

      Yeah, the good that comes out of bad situations is something that can always be remembered, and if applied, as Patrick has done, can actually help the person move past the bad situation much quicker. :)

      Thank you very much!

      Delete
  12. Wow, they both look so different! haha Oh Helena, always trying to fit into what she thinks is expected. I'm glad that Soleil's talk with her allowed Helena to realize that it's best to talk openly with her husband. Keeping these things to herself will not help matters. D'aww they're so cute. Dustin is so adorable. I think I'm developing a little crush. Sooo, I'm going to see another baby sometime soon? Can't wait!! lol XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? I was like o.O super shocked when I saw what they looked like after I gave them the makeovers. LOL. Yeah, Helena is very rigid on "fitting in." She's got so many rules about life, that she often forgets to live life. Soleil was the best person for Helena to talk to because she's really open with Max, and she loves that about her relationship, so she thought it might help Helena with Dustin. Dustin is great, isn't he? LOL. Idk, you might see another baby, you might not. >:D

      Delete
  13. I'm glad she didn't push the marriage thing. Maybe Helena is making some progress afterall. She's grown and hopefully now she'll start trusting her husband more.

    I do like that even though this is Max's gen we get to hear from the other characters in his life at times. So it's really in a way all of their stories, not just his. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she finally, for once in her life, didn't irritate Soleil to no end. LOL. There was a little subject change on Soleil's part too, so that played a little into that. But hope is good, hope for Helena is good. :) Now she just has to talk to Dustin since he obviously loves her, he put up with her craziness for that long, and it takes real love to accept character flaws that are that extreme.. LOL.

      Oh thanks. :) I liked intertwining the different characters in his life as well as him, it made it seem more realistic and dynamic that way. I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  14. I do think Helena is making progress, she opened up to Dustin and told him just how she was feeling and she didn't push the marriage issue with Soleil. What I don't like is she is still seeming to be a little bit controlling with Dustin about his hair cut and being clean shaven. She needs to let husband be his own person too. Hopefully she continues to make progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is! Making progress in opening up a little bit, at least. She also finally found some happiness with herself, which is making her treat Soleil more like a friend instead of a person who needed to be fixed. I am so glad you caught that... little bit of disturbing information I put in this chapter LOL. She does need to let Dustin be his own person... hopefully he doesn't fall into her trap and completely change for her. *cringes*

      Delete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com