Thursday, September 19, 2013

Maximus Twenty-Two: Time Apart

"All right, well, I'm ready to go."

"Dustin, I'm going to miss you. You look so good today. How long are you going to be gone? What am I going to do without you?"


Helena puts her hands on my chest and looks down, sad that I'm leaving for a month to film a movie in Paris. I had only been taking jobs in town for many years, but with our constant fighting, when my agent said I had an opportunity to try out for a supporting role in a film that was mostly going to be filmed in France, I jumped at the chance. I'm tired of Helena's manipulative ways, and I've learned to look for an ulterior motive when she is nice to me. I know that sounds terrible, that I can't just see her being nice to me for what it is, but ever since that night where she seduced me to try to get her way, I've been more wary of her.

"I'm going to be gone for a month. You remember the time zone difference, and our phone schedule? I will call you every day so we can talk, okay?"

"Yeah, I put it on the fridge. Dustin, I'm sorry. I guess this no baby thing is driving me more nuts than I expected."


"It's okay. You can call Soleil whenever you need a friend to talk to. I asked Max and her to keep in touch with you too to make sure you're all right while I'm gone."

"You did? Thanks so much, Dustin."

"Well, you're my wife. I love you and I want you to be okay."

"I love you too. Have a good time. Take some pictures of the Eiffel Tower for me?"

"Sure."

I kiss Helena goodbye and get into the limo that's waiting out front.



I watch Dustin leave, and I really hope that he has a good trip. I think the time apart will do us some good. I already feel bad for treating him so cruelly that night. When he told me we had to postpone what I wanted, I just saw red, and was so mad at him. I equated it with him not loving me, but the way he was so nice this morning, making sure everything here was going to be good for me while he was gone, especially after how I treated him, made me realize he never stopped loving me.


I'm in a better mood now so I pull out my phone and dial Soleil's number. I hope she's available because I really want a friend to talk to.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Soleil. I was wondering if you were free and wanted to maybe have a girl's day?"

"Yeah, I'm not busy, what did you have in mind?"


"Do you want to hang out here, maybe watch a movie, chit chat?"

"Sure, I'll be over in a bit."

Soleil comes over looking gorgeous as usual. I wonder if she has to do that to keep up appearances so she doesn't get put in a tabloid magazine as looking unkempt.


"Soleil, you're so pretty. I want to look like that."

"Thanks, Helena. Umm... I'm hardly dressed up today though, this is like a really old cotton shirt, and I just rolled up my hair in a hair tie."

"I know, but you still look so cute. Do you have to dress like that?"

"What do you mean have to dress like that?"

"Well I mean like, is Hollywood telling you how to dress?"

"Oh, that. Haha, no. Sometimes when I go to work, I just wear sweats and a sports bra because I will be wearing different clothes once I'm there. I just like looking put together on my days off."

"Can you um, maybe help me with my wardrobe? I know I haven't been the nicest to you whenever you brought up the subject in college, but I wonder, um, is that part of why you're so confident all the time?"


"Probably. I  feel good about myself, and so then I'm happy. I can help you, how do you want to start?"

"Well, I thought maybe looking through my clothes and seeing what I want to keep and what I want to change. I don't really want to throw everything out, that seems a bit extreme."

Soleil smiles at me and we go into my closet, where she starts looking through my clothes. I feel so plain and a bit embarrassed when I see her examining some of the pieces. She doesn't make fun of anything that she looks at, and I'm in awe of how nice she is to me despite everything I've done to her. I suddenly feel very guilty for all of it.


"Am I a hopeless cause, Soleil?"

"No, you need a little help, but it's not hopeless. You have a lot of over sized sweatpants, Helena. That's not good."

"They're so comfortable though."

"So are the sweatpants that are your size. I mean, I told you I wear sweats sometimes, but I never buy mens' sweatpants. I'd suggest throwing those out and getting some girl sweats. They look better and they're still comfortable."

Soleil pulls out one of my suits that I wear to church and I get a little annoyed. I really like those suits and I think they look fine. I hope she doesn't tell me to throw those out.


"What's up with this, Helena? It's like an eighty year old woman's suit."

"What do you mean? Why?"

"Well, the cut of it, it's so blah. The color too, it's like the same fabric as an ugly couch. You say you like that I look cute even when I'm wearing an old cotton shirt, and it's because of the way it's cut. It flares out and gets tighter where it should. It flatters a woman's body rather than hiding it."

"I'm not as pretty as you, Soleil."

Soleil comes over to me and makes me stand in front of my mirror.


"Helena, you need to stop saying that, it'll help with your confidence if you quit telling yourself you're not as good as me. Besides, who says you need to compare yourself to me anyway? You're your own person."

"I look like a shadow when I'm next to you."

"So what do you want to do about it?"

"Help me dress nice for dinner?"

"Are you going somewhere?"

"No, will you and Max come for dinner? I want to look nice for it, like you. I want to go shopping for some new clothes."

"Yeah we can do that."

After we come back from shopping, Soleil helps me make some grilled cheese sandwiches. She gets a phone call in the middle of it, and it turns out it's Max wondering where she was cause she wasn't at home. Max arrives pretty much right on time, as we get done with the sandwiches. He compliments my outfit and thanks me for inviting him for dinner. I observe him looking at Soleil during dinner and wish Dustin and I could be as in love as Max and Soleil are.


"So, sis, how are you holding up with Dustin being gone?"

"I'm all right. I miss him, even though he's only been gone since this morning. We're going to have a phone date everyday and I'm excited to hear his voice."

"That's good. Did you have fun with Soleil?"

"Yeah. She helped me pick out some new clothes because I wanted to dress nicer, like she does."

"That's cool. It looks good. You look good. It's definitely better than those man pants you wear all the time."

"Ha-ha, little brother."

"How was work, babe?"

"Pretty fun. Solving crime with the police department, you know? The usual. I have a script to read for the next episode."


I'm watching Max and Soleil interact, with disbelief that my little brother, the biggest player in high school, has so much love in his eyes towards one woman. I also find it interesting that Soleil doesn't have more questions for Max about his day, does she not have a single jealous bone in her body?

"How do you guys do that?"

"Do what?"

"Make your relationship look so easy? Like, how do you not worry what the other one is doing especially since you both have jobs where you have to sometimes kiss other people? I mean, Soleil's billboard? How does that not make you crazy, Max?"

"Confidence is the main thing. Trust is the other part. You're religious, so I'm going to equate it to faith. I have faith in Soleil, and in our relationship."

"Listening is another thing that's important. When Max tells me something or asks me something, I don't interrupt, and I listen to what he's actually saying rather than just hearing him talk."


"Umm, you guys, I'm sorry for how I acted at the birthday party. I was really mad at Dustin, but I shouldn't have brought our problems to Patrick's party."

Max looks stunned, probably since I apologized, which I don't do very often, but then smiles at me before taking another bite of his sandwich.


"Thanks, Helena. How are you and Dustin, anyway? You still love him, right?"

"Yeah. I just let my anger lead my behavior. You know how I still want a baby, but he wants to postpone it. I talked about it with you at the party."

"Helena, you need to accept him for who he is. He's a great guy, he's hard working, he's kind, he's done so much for you. If you support him, especially at the red carpet events, you'll shine too. Don't worry so much about fading away in the shadows. Who cares if the emcee doesn't talk to you, you are with Dustin, the emcee isn't important, you know? You'll be on Dustin's arm, and when he's in the spotlight, it'll shine on you too. Once you start doing that, he'll stop hesitating to have a baby with you."

After dinner, the three of us go and enjoy the hot tub that's out in the backyard. I remember in the early days of my marriage when Dustin and I would come out here and make out for hours into the night. When I see Max put his arm around Soleil, it reminds me of that even more.


As I watch them together, I wonder why they're not married. They'd make a perfect married couple, and I can't understand why they wouldn't want to take the next step in their relationship. I feel like they're just settling and their relationship is stagnant. It's so weird though because they seem so happy together. I don't understand why they don't want to better themselves.

"Why aren't you guys married? You act like you're so in love, why not just make it official?"

"What are you talking about? It's already official, she's my girlfriend, exclusively, and has been pretty much since forever."

"Well, yeah, so why not get the rings and paper saying that? Don't you want to prove that to the world? I mean what if someone hits on you because they don't see a ring on your finger?"

"Jesus, Helena, way to ruin a good night. You know I was actually having fun hanging out with you tonight? I don't have to prove anything to anyone. Soleil's the only thing that matters in the love department, and if she knows that, what others think don't matter. If someone hits on me, then I just tell them I'm not available, it's not that hard."


After some more chit-chat, Max and Soleil go home together, arms around each other as they walk out the front door. I'm left with my thoughts, which is never a good thing. I look at the clock, and it's almost time for my phone date with Dustin. I'm excited to hear his voice, and wonder why I don't treat him well when he's here, but miss him like crazy when he's gone. Maybe for me, absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

35 comments:

  1. i'm so happy soleil is helping helena feel more confidence as a woman. confidence is everything. if you feel it then you shine. i'm also glad she's seeing the errors of her ways when it comes to dustin. hopefully when he comes back she will be more confident and feel more trusting toward dustin. That advice soleil and max gave about their relationship should help her with hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Confidence is a great feeling to have. =) I don't know about Helena... this is the first time she has asked for advice, but she's not very good at actually putting the advice into practice. She's much better at wallowing in her sadness. It would be nice if she was more trusting of Dustin because if she should trust anyone, it should be her husband. =)

      Delete
  2. Hopefully their month apart will be a learning curve for Helena!! I hope things are slowly sinking in to that stupid head of hers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! She is quite the stupid-head. XD
      I guess we'll see if she actually learns something.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad Helena wants to learn and is asking Soeil for help. Hopefully she'll be able to mend her relationship with Dustin. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... not sure she was asking because she necessarily wanted to learn, but more because she was curious as to how Max and Soleil remain so happy while she's always unhappy. In her head she doesn't understand them as much as they don't understand her. =D

      Delete
  4. Good, I'm glad Dustin gets some time alone and away from Helena, I think he needs it.. XD

    It was nice of Soleil to come over to Helena's and give her some advice and to help her with her clothes. I love some of the clothes you described Helena having, it seemed so fitting for her.. LOL

    *dies from Max*

    Oh, of course.. Why did I think that Helena wouldn't ruin anything? She seemed to be doing okay, but of course, it's HELENA.. She needs to ruin something in someone's life at least once a day. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for sure, Dustin needs some time where he won't be nagged 24 hours a day. LOL. Haha, I had fun describing Helena's clothes, I basically thought of clothes I dislike and made fun of them. XD
      ROFL yeah Helena's day isn't complete till she says something condescending or insulting.

      Delete
  5. *sigh* No Helena - it's because you're stupid. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Dustin has a really high tolerance point....I'm surprised he hasn't snapped yet from Helena's deviousness. I'm going to wait for the inevitable fallout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLL. I hope you enjoy the fallout as much as I enjoyed writing about it. =) Dustin is the king of patience, but even he has a limit.

      Delete
  7. Helena can't change. She won't, that simple. People like that don't change unless they have a motive to act like they have. Dustin needs to find a pretty, loving, caring and honest lady. No amount of clothes or makeup can make Helena beautiful because her soul is so sour. I hope hope hope Dustin leaves her and she goes away, far away, and never returns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, you are so right. Helena refuses to change. She's had many, many years to change her behavior, especially since it's not like people haven't told her that she is ridiculous. Her righteousness is really getting in the way of everything. People who don't admit that they have a problem are usually the ones who never get better.

      Delete
  8. Soleil looked adorable in that outfit, I think its great that she's helping out Helena, although I have a feeling like usual Helena will say or do something stupid to hurt their friendship once again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, your feeling is pretty spot on, considering you've been paying attention to Helena's shitty personality this whole time. LOL. =) Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  9. Girl, you are TOO good at making Helena look human. Like others, I want to trust her, but I DO NOT. You're killing me! Are you sure I can't just have Dustin? LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks. :) I really enjoy writing personalities, developing them, and exploring every depth of them I can. I'm glad it is making my characters seem real. It's probably good that you go with your gut instinct of not trusting her LOL.
      Dustin loves you. :)

      Delete
  10. I really wish Helena would stop comparing herself to Soleil. Like Soleil said, she's her own person. Dustin fell in love with her, not Soleil. Those self-esteem issues are really deep seated aren't they?!

    Sometimes it really amuses me how disbelieving she is that Max and Soleil truly don't want to get married. She can't see that they are perfectly happy as they are. I'm sure that if Soleil wanted to get married, or vice versa, the other would agree to take the plunge, but they both realise that it isn't for them. Not everyone needs that piece of paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Helena doesn't need to compare herself to anyone. She's always looking for a reason to have something to complain about though, unfortunately. Haha, Helena and self-esteem are not even on the same planet. XD

      Exactly. :D Marriage is something that is a personal choice between the couple, it doesn't matter, it's the commitment and love that matter. Helena thinks of things in terms of right and wrong. With her, there's no gray area, which is making her life difficult because life is never always right or always wrong. In her mind, every committed couple is supposed to be married, otherwise it's wrong. *rolls eyes* LOL. It's her problem of she can't see things that are right in front of her, like she can't see the happiness they have, as you mentioned.

      Delete
  11. I'm anxious to see how Helena behaves while Dustin is away. A month is a long time for them to be apart. Maybe she'll miss him enough to treat him better. Then again, this is Helena. I shouldn't get my hopes up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, this chapter was the start of the month where he was away, and strangely, she misses him because you couldn't tell that from how badly she treats him when he's here. I guess I didn't go into the month with her being alone since I did a one month time jump for the next chapter after this night Helena had dinner with Max and Soleil. I did however, say some of Helena's thoughts that she was thinking while Dustin was away.

      Delete
  12. Distance is good, maybe Helena will finally realize her faults and apologize. It was nice of Soleil to help her out with her wardrobe especially since she wears clothes that are made for men lol. Helena ruined the moment once she started asking them about marriage...as always lol, that's none of her business. I'm surprised she hasn't accused Dustin of cheating yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess, we can only hope that Helena will put her brain to use. Apologizing isn't her strong suit at all. She's done it before, but it really takes her a while to figure out she's wrong. LOL, Helena's fashion sense is nonexistent, and she thinks being covered up is the only way to dress that doesn't make a girl seem like a whore. Sadly, this means she ends up buying mostly unattractive clothes. IKR? She just had to ruin a good night, LOL, it's like she can't even see that Max and Soleil are clearly happy with each other, even when the evidence is right in front of her face. Ha, yeah, that does sound like something Helena would do, but she's smarter than that in a way, because Dustin never gave her anything she could go on to begin accusing him. He always comes home when he says he will and he doesn't get secret phone calls at night, so even Helena knows it would be a far stretch for her to accuse him of cheating. Helena is irrational most of the time, but it's usually when something small gets into her head and she blows it out of proportion. As of now, there's nothing small between her and Dustin that would cause her to think that way.

      Delete
  13. "Dustin, I'm sorry." and "Thanks so much, Dustin." Those are big, very big words coming from Helena. I understand it should mean she really loves Dustin, as much as she can love another person -- or even herself. I am impressed she said that, and glad for her, too.

    And then she is asking question to Soleil, instead of assuming things and telling how they should be. "I know I haven't been the nicest to you...", "despite everything I've done to her. I suddenly feel very guilty for all of it." I'm surprised Soleil doesn't notice the change, or even the fact that she spends many hours with Helena without feeling annoyed. Maybe that's a little unfair.

    And Helena goes on, to ask -- ask!!! -- Max and Soleil for advices on couple relationship. Then "you guys, I'm sorry for how I acted..." At least, Max is stunned, and Helena recognizes it might be "probably since I apologized, which I don't do very often".

    And I was asking myself -- who is that? Is it a clone? Is Helena taking a new medication? A tranquilizer? Did she start doing extreme yoga, or meditation? Did she become enlightened overnight? The last part of the night, though, when she inquires about marriage, reassured me. She wasn't her own clone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true that she said that... but did she mean it? LOL, or was she just saying it because she was scared she was going to lose Dustin even though he was just going away for work?

      Soleil knows Helena says things, but the reason she doesn't really believe it is because Helena goes back on her word so often. Helena will be nice, but then the next day, condemn Soleil for doing something she finds unrighteous. It's difficult to believe in real change when the person has given you a history of not trusting them.

      Helena grew a little bit in this chapter, maybe... or was it that she was just seeking human companionship because Dustin is away, was she just manipulating the situation, being nice to Max and Soleil so they would hang out with her? >:D

      LOL, yes, at the end of the night, Helena shows her face again. Hahaha.

      Delete
  14. I hope this time away from each other really will make the heart grow fonder, but I just worry once Dustin's back, Helena will start with her nagging and insecurities again. You keep restoring my faith in Helena only to tear it back down! I want to have hope for her again, but after all the other times, I'm so hesitant to trust in her. ugh.
    Max and Soleil are such caring and thoughtful individuals. It really speaks of their character how they are always there for Helena even after all the pain and frustration she has caused them. I hope that one day Helena can see all the great people she has around her that support and care for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right not to trust Helena, given her historically ridiculous behavior in the past. LOL. Here we don't even know if she means anything she says, or if she's scared she'll lose everything because Dustin's away, or if she's scared of being alone for a month. With Helena, it's always a random coin toss, and we have no idea where or how the coin will land. I'm also showing what little humanity there is in Helena from her point of view because sometimes she doesn't know what she's doing is terribly wrong, but other times, she is pushing her views down people's throats. She's a confusing person, even to her own self sometimes.
      Yay, haha, I'm so glad you saw that about Max and Soleil. They're more subtle individuals, like they don't cause drama, but in their subtlety, their character shines. Yet again, Helena is failing to see what is right under her nose. We can hope someday she gets her head out of her ass. LOL.

      Delete
  15. Still pissed at her. I still think Dustin is too easy on her. Don't like her at all. They really need to throw it in her face that without marriage their relationship is 100 times better than hers ad Dustin. A ring and a piece of paper can't compete with love and commitment. It's that respect thing still. Something she's missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. She deserves it. LOL. Yeah, Dustin had that whole patience thing that we hoped he had in order to deal with her, but he's going to have to know when enough is enough. Hahaha, true, Max and Soleil could have given Helena an attitude, God knows she would deserve it if they did throw it in her face, but I think that they are not those kinds of people. They're not vindictive, and even as much as Helena deserves to be punched in the face and thrown out the window, LOL, Max and Soleil aren't going to do that to her. They're more of the lead by example kinds of people, so they'll just keep their relationship going strong, without meddling too much in Helena's crap. Very true, a ring and a piece of paper are just physical things that show people you're married, the love, respect, and commitment are the intangible things that make a relationship work. She might always be missing that aspect, but we'll see.

      Delete
  16. Why is it when Helena looks as if she is taking one step forward she takes two steps back. She did it when she asked for advice with the clothes at first she listened to Soleil's advice but than she didn't want her to touch her church clothes. Later on she acted normal when she apologized for Patrick's party but of course she had to ruin it by bringing up the marriage thing. I do hope that Dustin realizes he will never be happy with her and decides to leave her when he comes back. That girl is just a lost cause and she needs to find herself a church boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the answer is that Helena is retarded. LOL. She's her own worst enemy. Helena is one of those people who is worrisome to an unhealthy extent, and she thinks about so many details, most of which aren't necessarily that important. She only wants people to say what she wants to hear, but unfortunately Soleil is not that type of person, which is actually good for Helena, Helena just doesn't see it that way. Her church clothes are also very important to her, so they're more than just clothes, which is why it was a sore spot for Helena. LOL like Max said, "Way to ruin a good night," that's pretty much Helena's MO. Hahaha, she has to have drama or she feels like something's missing. Things will transpire that will make things sink in for Dustin, whether that's right when he comes back, or a few more weeks after, we'll just have to see. This generation is almost over though, so you won't have to wait long to see what Dustin decides. LOL yes, she is a lost cause. XD

      Delete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com