Monday, February 2, 2015

Armand Two: Hard to Convince


I sat in my art class, somewhat paying attention to Professor Frink, who was going on about a particular style of painting that was popular in the 1800s. It was true that I enjoyed art, but school had a way of sucking the fun out of it. I opened my sketchbook to work on my drawings for my other class. We were supposed to use our imagination to come up with three exaggerated drawings that were based on a real subject. I think the purpose of the exercise was to get us to think outside the box because anyone can look at a bowl of fruit and just draw what is there, but to look at a bowl of fruit and picture something about it that makes it unique is a whole other story. I had chosen three different things, my feelings growing up, my mom, and my dad. My feelings came out in the visual of a fantastical animal I had made up, with sharp horns coming out of its head and sharp tusks protruding from its mouth. It represented the mean things I often thought about myself, thanks to my mother's influence. I had drawn my mother as a hooded figure, clad with body armor, not because she was a strong woman, but because I felt like she was an impenetrable being, incapable of showing love to my dad and I, the very people whom she should have loved the most. My dad was represented as a circus performer on a pole, one because of his job in the entertainment industry, and two because he loved to laugh with me and make me feel better when I was down in the dumps.


"Armand Hunt? Did you hear me? Who painted Starry Night?"

"Vincent van Gogh."

"Very good. Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention, hmm?"

I nodded, and looked down again at my sketches, a little embarrassed that Professor Frink had caught me not listening to her lecture. I tried not to let it get to me though, as there was often at least one student who got in trouble daily due to this teacher's strictness, and I guess today it was my turn to be that student. The rest of class went without a hitch, with me putting the finishing touches on my sketches and then taking out my notebook again to take notes for the remainder of the class period.


After class was over, I headed towards the courtyard since it was a nice day out, still humid, but sunny and breezy. As I walked past a group sitting around a picnic table, I heard them talking about dark magic and voodoo, which I knew was a sub-culture of Louisiana. I didn't believe in any of that stuff myself, but it was intriguing to think that there might be powers or forces out there that some humans claimed to be able to interact with. I continued walking and made my way into the courtyard, where a few people were playing hackysack, some were playing frisbee, while others were sitting reading books or studying. I decided to get out my sketchbook and draw something, perhaps a sport scene, since I had been inspired by the various recreational activities going on around me.


I hadn't been drawing for more than about five minutes, when I saw a frisbee sail dangerously close to my nose, making me raise my hand up in defense so I wouldn't end up with a bloody nose, and it landed on the pavement next to me. I looked up and saw a red haired guy running towards me, whom I guessed was the owner of the frisbee.


"Hey man! I'm really sorry that almost hit you. That got out of control real fast, I didn't expect the frisbee to come all the way down here."

"It's okay. The wind can be an asshole sometimes."

I picked up the frisbee and handed it to the guy, who then smiled and thanked me. He turned around to leave, but changed his mind and looked back towards me, extending his hand in greeting. I reached up to shake it, smiling at him.


"My name's Remy. It's nice to meet you."

"I'm Armand."

"Do you want to play frisbee too? I figure, I almost hit you with it, the least I could do is let you return the favor, right?"

"Yeah, sure."


I put my sketchbook away, and got up, following Remy to the place he had put his backpack. I then set my backpack down next to where Remy had put his, then threw the frisbee around with him for a little while, until we both got hungry. As we went to pick up our bags, I told Remy that I really enjoyed hanging out with him. I was about to leave, when he asked me if I wanted to hang out some more and get some coffee and a bite to eat. I had always eaten by myself in the dorm, and I hadn't made any friends yet, which made me wonder why I was so eager to leave after having such a good time playing frisbee. Then the thought crossed my mind of what if I had inherited my mother's awkward social skills? She had always had a difficult time making friends. I remembered one time when I was at school and she was there for a meeting or something, how much of a hard time she had because she thought the other moms didn't like her. I saw the sadness in her eyes when she saw that they were ignoring her, but she never made an effort to go talk to them, she just assumed they hated her. Ugh, Mom. I hated thinking about my mother, but somehow, her stupid face always found its way into my head. I decided it was time to stop letting her get to me, and if I was determined to not be like her, then I was the only one who could change it. She wasn't here anymore to tell me what to do, and I had complete freedom of my own life.


"I know this really good restaurant not too far from here, unless you want to eat in the dorm food courts?"

"No, I always eat at the dorms. I haven't been around town much, honestly, other than just on campus."

I got in Remy's car and we headed off. The restaurant was really close, probably only a mile and a half outside of campus. Again, I wondered why I had never explored the town, and just kept myself in my own little bubble, scowling at myself as I wrestled with my thoughts. We ordered our food and sat down together at a little two seater table.


"Thank you for showing me this restaurant, Remy, and for inviting me to hang out with you."

"You're welcome. What's your major?"

"Fine Arts. You?"

"Construction Engineering."

"Wow. That's really specific. Have you been in college for a while, or did you just know that's what you wanted to study?"

"It's my second semester here. I like construction because I have a background in it. My family home was actually destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, and I helped rebuild it and some other houses in town. I really enjoyed the feeling I got when I was able to restore things to their former glory, so to speak."


"I'm sorry. That sounds terrible. I'm only second semester as well."

"That's cool, we're probably around the same age then? Eighteen going on nineteen?"

"Yup, that's right."

"How about you? Any reason you picked your major?"

"Well... sort of. I've always liked painting, and creating things of my own, but I was never able to fully express myself through it because of extenuating circumstances, so I thought coming to college was my way to find myself, I guess? I don't know, that sounds stupid and cheesy."


"Nah, it's not stupid. I think that's what a lot of people do, they come here to explore and figure things out. You're not from around here, though, are you?"

"No. I'm from California. Silicon Shores, specifically."

"Ahh, California. The land of palm trees."

And death, I thought, scowling yet again when I thought of Mom. Memories of that day I talked to my father because he felt the exact same way I do now came into my head. I had told him to move on because maybe he was the one holding himself prisoner, and perhaps I was doing the very same thing to myself. I looked down at my coffee cup while I sipped it, wondering when memories of my mother were ever going to stop haunting me, and if I was ever going to be able to take my own advice. One thing was for sure, I knew now firsthand, how frustrating it was for Dad, when he told me he was stuck in those few months after Mom had died, as if she was mocking him from the afterlife somehow, laughing that he was pathetic because he seemed lost without her, even though her being alive never did him much good either.


"Armand? Are you all right? Your face kind of fell a bit there."

"Sorry. I just had some depressing thoughts resurface. It's nothing."

"Okay, I'm sorry if I offended you."

"No, it's nothing you did, I promise."

Remy smiled at me, and continued eating. I was glad I had made a new friend, but I was secretly hoping that in time, I would learn to open up to him and stop hearing my mother's persistent voice in my head telling me I wasn't worth anything. I must be worth something for Remy to even want to be my friend... he wouldn't have given his time to someone he thought was just a stupid schmuck, right? Even though my brain was telling me it was true based on the evidence that was right in front of me, it was my heart that was hardened, and I knew that it would be much more difficult to convince.


24 comments:

  1. He's surprisingly self aware - but I guess that makes sense for an artist. He might be used to introspection. It also makes a lot of sense that him and his father would still be obsessed with his mother - it's a habit now. For decades they were constantly trying to read her and figure out what she was thinking or feeling - and in Armand's case, trying to anticipate what she was going to do or say. You can't just snap out of something like that...

    But damn did she do one thing right giving Armond eyes like that! In those last pictures in the cafe where the light is dimmer it's as if they glow!! I was transfixed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Katya fucked him up emotionally, but he does still have a bit of Patrick in him, which even though he's not Perceptive like Patrick, he still notices and questions things that he thinks. In a way, Katya's mean ways made him more of an analyzer because he is trying so hard not to be like her that he questions everything he does and why he does it, which drives him crazy while at the same time it makes him feel like he's his own person. His biggest fear is turning into Katya. Another reason it's so hard for Armand to stop thinking about Katya is because of the way she died. She died with so many of his thoughts unanswered. It would be similar to your favorite tv show getting canceled after a big cliffhanger, and then you never know what happens after that. That's how Armand feels, Katya left so many things hanging in the air that he can't help but be haunted by her and how she made him feel. Hopefully as things change in Armand's life and he meets new people, he can start moving on from that and not let it affect him so much.

      Yes, I agree, the only good thing she did was pass her genetics on to Armand. LOL. I love how he turned out. :) I'm glad you like him too.

      Delete
  2. LOL the land of palms trees. And DEATH. XD I know, probably not supposed to be funny, but it kind of caught me off guard and I laughed because of it.
    Man.. Stupid Katya, still bothering Armand even after her death. But, I guess it's not all that surprising, given that she was a total bitch to everyone around her and never once proved that she could be a good wife and a mother. Poor Armand.. U_U
    Aww, Remy's so cute! I really hope they become good friends, that's exactly what Armand needs to distract himself from, well, himself.
    Great update! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Going to tell you a secret, I laughed when I typed that. Heehee. I'm glad it made someone else laugh too. XD You get my sense of humor. *hugs*
      IKR? Talk about the most annoying woman in the world? So annoying that she irritates people in another dimension? Jesus. LOL. I didn't know I would have written a more irritating personality than Helena, but Katya comes a close second.
      Ooh, thank you! I like Remy too, he was born in game from one of my other saves so I didn't even have to try too hard to make him. Heehee. Everyone needs a good friend, and Remy might just be Armand's. :D
      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. Those eyes, though... :O ...He's too beautiful lol

    Armand is playing mind games with himself. It's hard to think better of yourself when you keep bringing yourself down, he's too good for that. But then again having a disrupted childhood can really mess a person up inside. Hopefully he will learn to deal with it...I feel like he hates his mother and for some reason that just makes me feel awkward even though I shouldn't lol. Like, I know everything wasn't great between them but still...He has to love her at least a little bit...0.01
    %? Lol

    It's funny how nature can be so destructive sometimes...Remy seems like a selfless guy...I like that.

    As far as the whole dark magic thing...Wow, my dad grew up in a country where voodoo was very popular but when he came to America he became Christian...He tells me CRAZY stories...I'm a very curious person but that is not something I would ever want to experience, first hand lol. But yeah my mom called it "black magic" and my dad just called it "voodoo" lol. Back then I didn't know what the hell it was when they talked about it lol but it's definitely real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Armand is very, very gorgeous. *faints* LOL.

      It is hard for him to get out of his own head. It doesn't help that he keeps hearing Katya's voice telling him how much he was a terrible person. T_T No child should have to live with that kind of emotional abuse from a parent. It hit him hard because moms are supposed to love their kids, not tear them down so they become depressed. Can you really blame him if he does hate Katya? She didn't exactly treat him good... like ever. Honestly though, Armand doesn't even know if he loved Katya, her negativity really blurred the lines regarding that topic.

      Yeah, nature can be a bitch. LOL. One of Remy's traits is "Good," so I wanted to play on that, selfless is a good way to describe him. Remy's background is one reason I wanted to do this generation in Louisiana, because of the hurricane.

      The second reason I chose Louisiana was because of the voodoo aspect. I don't know if you looked at the theme for this generation, but the movie that inspired it deals with magic and crazy stuff, so I needed a place where that stuff was more prominent. :D

      Delete
  4. I can just sit here and stare at Armand .... those eyes ..... love those eyes.
    The only thing that Katya did right was giving him those eyes. Otherwise I want to go back in time and tell Patrick not to waste his time on her. Armand is so introspective because of her, instead of taking things as they are he has all these thoughts in his head questioning himself. It's like a part of Katya's thinking got locked in his head. Of course your worth getting to know Armand, give Remy a chance and maybe you'll have a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, IKR? His eyes are beautiful, and too right you are, Katya's genetics are the 1% that was good about her. ROFL. That's awesome, time travel back to the beginning and warn Patrick. XD

      :( I know... poor Armand is so self-doubting, T_T his self-esteem is terrible. You're right, Katya's thinking did get stuck in his head, the poor boy. He did give Remy a chance by taking him up on his offer to go to the restaurant with him, here's hoping he continues to hang out with Remy.

      Delete
  5. Remy seems like a nice guy - I hope that he can help to bring Armand out of his shell. Being so closed in on himself I guess he has never really had a friend, other than his Dad.

    It is such a shame that Katya has messed up his head so much - it just shows how much damage a parent can do to a child sometimes!! he has a lot to deal with emotionally and mentally, I just hope he can work it all out!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Remy is very nice and genuine. He's understanding, which is the kind of friend Armand needs. Very true, Armand hasn't had nor felt like he wanted to open up to anyone but his dad. He had that one sort of friend when he was a child, but they only spent time together in school and then they lost touch so that didn't really help. LOL.

      IKR? Katya did real damage to Armand, without even knowing it. She was so selfish and she didn't even see how much pain she caused him. Hopefully people he meets in his life can help him heal his wounds. :D

      Delete
  6. Out of context, I know... but I think this last pic looks as if Armand is staring at a fish bowl o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Now that you mention it, that light does look like a fish bowl. XD

      Delete
  7. Ugh, I wish Katya had been able to be a better mother; Armand seems like he has a few emotional traumas, hopefully he can work through them. Remy seems good guy, hopefully he'll help Armand and they'll be able to cultivate a friendship... Haha, that sounded so cheesy in my mind, but I do want Armand to have friends.
    And ooo Louisiana seems like it'll be an interesting setting! I'm excited to read more. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katya had so many issues... and no one really knows why she had such a wierd attitude towards Armand. I'm not sure if Patrick even knew... god knows Katya never talked to him about anything except her fears that Patrick was going to die. *rolls eyes*

      Armand is severely emotionally broken for sure, his self-esteem for one, and his self-doubting makes him crazy. Remy is nice :D it's ok it didn't sound that cheesy, Armand does need friends other than Patrick. He's eighteen now, he should not have his only friend be his father. LOL. I'm glad you want Armand to be happy. :)

      Yeah, I thought I'd try a completely different state. I'm a little fixated on California personally, so I needed some variety in my writing ROFL. The past two generations have been in California, so I felt like the Sims needed a move. Sometimes Armand will go visit California, but he needed a fresh start. Heehee. :)

      Delete
  8. Poor Armand. . .He's trying so hard make a move in the right direction and focus on himself instead of what happened in the past, but just like the past always does, it comes back to bite you in the butt when you least expect it.

    I'm proud of him for trying to move past it. Hopefully Remy will help him open up and he'll eventually meet new people who do the same.

    On a completely different note, Professor Frinks hair. . .I don't know what happened, but I laughed at it for a good minute. I tickled me for some reason. LOL!!! Oh. . .maybe Sandy needs some more coffee. But, yeah, I had a flashback to a middle school teacher with her. ;)

    Yay! There's another chapter! Going to go read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so true, the past is unforgiving. Armand just wants to be free, but he's finding it incredibly difficult. This is the point where he will realize that he can't do it alone, and that he needs help from other people. He's going to have to learn that opening up doesn't have to be a bad thing.

      LOL, Professor Frink's hair is ridiculous, and I thought she needed to continue to look ridiculous because she yelled at Armand. XD

      Delete
  9. it's such a shame what happened in his childhood really effects him now but at least he's not going down the wrong path because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!
      Very good point, having a bad thing like that happen to you does make some people go do bad stuff. Luckily for Armand, Patrick was there when he was growing up, and it really helped him see that you don't have to drown your sorrows in questionable habits. If Katya had been a single parent, Armand might not have been so lucky.
      Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  10. Ah I'm glad that Armand is pursuing art as his major and that Patrick encouraged it. I hope that Armand can find himself and become more centered without the memories of his mother and poor childhood constantly getting in the way. And he seems very talented, so maybe his art will help him work through those issues.

    Oooh, I like Remy (I like that name, too! I just started watching 'House of Cards' and there's a character named Remy in it.). He's very handsome! ^_^ Having a friend will be good for Armand, I think. Or at least, I hope so. Armand seems to need a friend, someone who can distract him. I guess we'll find out.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely, Patrick knew Armand felt insecure about his art skills, along with all his other skills, but he knew Armand actually liked those things, so he encouraged him to go for it because it doesn't matter what Katya said, she was always talking bullshit anyway. LOL. Time will help him heal, along with friends like Remy, and other people he meets in his life. He is using his art as an outlet, and that's one of the things he knows he has that can help him when he's feeling insecure. It's like he can control his drawings, so they do make him feel better when his thoughts are running rampant.

      Aww, thanks. I reread this chapter again, and I was having major concentration problems from staring at Remy + Armand. LOL, yes, your thoughts are right, Armand will benefit from having a friend. He needs someone he can talk to when he's away from Patrick, who so far has been the only person he feels comfortable openly talking to. Armand needs someone to make him feel like he matters, especially because his thoughts always try to make him feel worthless.

      Delete
  11. Damn is crazy ass mother really messed with his head. She is still fucking with him years after her death. That self-doubt seed she planted has taken root and he's not becoming his own worst enemy. :( Remy seems nice and it'll be good for him to have a friend. Each of the other 2 gens had a good friend they could lean on and that friendship lasted a 'lifetime' so I hope this will be the same for Armand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she definitely did screw him up emotionally. He's experiencing the same thing that Patrick did when Katya was around. His thoughts in a way, do make him very analytical, so he at least has that going for him, that he won't turn into Katya. Remy is a nice guy, he's very understanding and patient, and he just wants to help people. Yeah, I liked the 'heir's best friend' aspect I threw into the other generations, and I think I want to keep that going for the rest of the legacy.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad he is trying not to be like his mother. All those insecurities are still in his head and will probably be there for a while. At least he can identify his mother's bad qualities and try to stay away from them. Far Far away from them. Making a friend is exactly what he needed to do and Remy seems nice enough. Hopefully this friendship will lead him on a road to leaving all the negativity of his past behind.

    With all the positive he did get from his father, it really is a shame that the negativity from his mother is what is sticking with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh yeah, Armand really doesn't want to be like Katya. As much as he wanted her to love him, and he tried to love her, he really has a lot of hate for her as well because she was so crazy. One thing I have learned from insecurities is that they never truly go away, but they do dull significantly over time. Remy's a good guy, he has a very caring heart, considering the natural disaster he had experienced made him choose the career path he did. He only wants to help people, which is good because Armand needs all the help he can get.

      Negativity has a way of sticking to a person like super glue and managing to shield the person from positivity. Armand's good qualities are what his father gave to him, which are more of a deep down sort of thing, but the bad qualities from his mother are what he thinks about all the time. He just needs to learn from the bad qualities rather than letting them make him sad, but for now he hasn't figured that out yet. One thing that is good however is that he knows exactly what he does not want to be.

      Delete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com