Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Armand Four: Explaining Myself

Author's Note: Poolside poses by MrsOogieBoogie, available for download at her legacy, TIDL.


I stormed out of the dining room, not really having a purpose, other than wanting to get away from everyone. Dad had soft closing patio doors, and that made me even more angry because I couldn't even properly slam the door to show my frustration. I kicked my sneakers off, sending them flying as they hit Mom's old bar counter. In the back of my mind, I felt like I was acting like a child, but it matched the fact that I had felt like a child the whole time I had been home. I continued walking until I got to the hot tub at the far end of the backyard, and then turned left, speed walking to work off the extra energy that had rushed up out of nowhere. I was having a decent conversation with Dad and Ephemera, and I liked her, so why did I react so violently... almost ridiculously, now that I thought about it.


I knew I was tired from traveling, anxious because I was coming back home, and overwhelmed from constantly beating myself up over nothing. Getting slammed by a blanket of love when I arrived was the last thing I expected, and although I felt that it was so touching, no one knew it but me. I sensed Ephemera knew I was appreciative of her regarding the remodel because I'd made it obvious when I hugged her, but she didn't know how glad I was that she was making Dad happy. Ugh, what is wrong with me? I heard Dad calling out to me from the patio doors, but I ignored him, not even sure what I would say to him because what I was thinking didn't even make sense to me. I continued pacing around the pool, noticing that my adrenaline had subsided and I was physically calmer.

"ARMAND DECIMUS Hunt. Don't pretend you can't hear me. I know you're upset, but I will not have you disrespect me by way of ignoring me."

I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard Dad use my middle name, the universal sign that your parent meant business. Even though I was an adult now, Dad's firm tone sent me straight back to that day at Disney Land when he yelled at me for running around the parking lot.


I heard Dad's footsteps behind me, getting closer and closer as I just stood there staring at the tiles that surrounded the pool, embarrassed that I had gotten scolded. I remained silent until Dad stepped in front of me. I looked up at his face, and saw that he had aged considerably since I had last seen him. I guessed that all those years with Mom he spent miserable were now taking a toll on his appearance, and I felt bad that he had to wait so long before he found happiness.


"Armand, what's wrong? I thought you liked Ephemera."

"Dad? Thank you... for always coming to find me. It lets me know that you care. Most of the time I feel like no one cares about me."

I whispered my last sentence, on the verge of tears from seeing Dad's wrinkles and the knowledge that I had somehow disappointed him or made him sad. The thing that made me the most emotional was if I felt like I hurt my dad. It had been that way my whole life. I looked up to him so much because he was the kindest person in my life, and all I wanted was for him to be happy. Suddenly, my sadness overwhelmed me, and I felt like I could no longer stand, crumbling to my knees beside the edge of the pool. One of my feet touched the water, and I pulled myself to a sitting position, feeling somewhat comforted by the sensation of the water on my skin. Dad sat next to me and kept silent, letting me just be, which I appreciated. It was much easier for me to come down from an emotional outburst if I wasn't bombarded with a million more questions while I was in the midst of it. He put his hand behind him, resting on it, and softly looked in my direction, waiting to see if I felt better before he spoke.


"I'm sorry you feel like no one cares, but I do. Ephemera does too. She was so excited that you were coming home for Thanksgiving."

"To answer your earlier question, I do like Ephemera. I was really happy when you and her showed me my new room. I saw you guys holding hands as you left, and set the table together. I am so glad she makes you happy. What's wrong is... that I feel like an outsider in my own home. I never felt comfortable here growing up unless you were home, and Ephemera is so nice to me, but it's like, somehow I feel like I missed out. I'll have a motherly figure who finally treats me right, but I won't get to experience it because I don't live at home anymore. It's like a good opportunity came, the thing I wanted most as a child, and I'll miss it entirely."

I hung my head, feeling like I didn't make any sense, and that I was just a bumbling idiot. An idiot who can't even enjoy a good thing when it slaps him in the face.


"So what you said at the table wasn't really what you felt?"

"No, of course not. I know that Ephemera is not Mom, and I know that you marrying her isn't going to mean bad things for you. Just because I don't believe in marriage doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to do what makes you happy. I can see that Ephemera loves you."

Dad's eyes fell a little bit when he heard me say I didn't believe in marriage. I hoped he wasn't going to pressure me in that area if I decided not to get married, but then I pushed that stupid thought out of my head, remembering that Dad had never given me any reason to think that he would make me do something that I wasn't happy with.


"I'm really happy that you are being so understanding about this, and that you're genuinely glad  for my well-being. I want to let you know that you're not going to miss out on anything. Just because you've grown up now, it doesn't mean that you can't experience the love of a mother. You don't have to live in the same house to feel love from someone. It's like when you're at college, but you still feel that I love you, right?"

"Well, yeah... I guess I never thought of it that way. Dad, are you sad that I don't believe in marriage... I mean when it comes to myself being married? I am afraid I'll be miserable like you were with Mom."

"No, I'm not sad because you think that way. My father actually doesn't believe in marriage either, but he found my mom, and they're still in love to this day, despite never getting married. It's made me believe that love comes in all shapes and forms, and that there's no one right way to fall in love. What I'm sad about is how my marriage to your mother affected you, and how scared it is making you feel towards that subject. Not all marriages end up like that. You're still really young, though, you don't have to concern yourself with that sort of stuff now."


I was starting to feel a lot better while having this conversation with Dad, and I relaxed some, finally feeling some of the pressures that had threatened to suffocate me throughout the day lifting themselves away. I leaned back and gave Dad a small smile.

"Thanks, Dad, I feel a lot better. I'm really sorry I ruined dinner."

"You didn't ruin anything. Don't worry. I'm glad to have you home for the week."


"Dad? Is Ephemera mad at me for... not taking the news happily?"

"Mad? No. I think she's a bit confused, as was I, but I understand you completely now."

"It feels... a little wierd... um, not eh, being yelled at.."

I saw concern in Dad's eyes because I knew how the words sounded coming out of my mouth, as if I wanted to be yelled at. How was I so screwed up that I actually thought it strange when people were nice to me? It made me sad that I was so used to being a problem that I had started to view myself as one.


"Dad... how did you get over memories of Mom? The bad memories, I mean? I can't... everything I do, she's there, taunting me, telling me I'm not good enough, so it makes me not want to try. The times I do try, I have to push really hard, like more than normal. not to do the thing itself, but to combat the thoughts of what she used to say to me. It's like she's this constant rain cloud over my head, pouring hell on me all the time. The only time I get any peace is when I'm asleep."

"It took me a long time. You remember when you told me on the balcony that day to just go for it with Ephemera? Even after we started dating, I had the same problem you did, and the only time I was at peace was when I was doing magic. It took me about six months with constant support from Ephemera that helped me finally keep those thoughts to a minimum. Sometimes I still have them, but they've dulled significantly. Your friends, and time, will help you get over it. It takes patience, and I'm sorry you're in the middle of all the turmoil right now, but it doesn't last forever. I can see that you're trying, and it's good. People who try to change are the ones who succeed at it. I'm proud of you that you recognize you have a problem because that's the first step."

"Dad? I have another question... I don't know if you know the answer, but um, was I an accident, or something? Is that why Mom hated me so much?"


"I honestly don't know your mom's reasoning for how she acted towards you. You are not an accident, don't think like that. You did come as a surprise to me, though.You know how I had that work related injury? I was in the hospital in a coma. When I woke up, your mom told me she had been pregnant for three months already. The first night we brought you home after you were born, was when I saw a slight oddity in your mom's behavior, she got really upset when you started crying. I just chalked it up to her being tired after having you."

"Do you think Ephemera would know anything more about Mom that we didn't know?"


"Well, I'm not sure, Ephemera and I have spent most of our time being in a working relationship. Sometimes we share memories about Mom, but we both try not to dwell on that too much, for my sake, so I don't go slipping back into those self-loathing thoughts. You can ask her if you want though. I think she's going grocery shopping tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner, you can either go with her, or cook with her, or both. I'm sure she wouldn't mind. She'd love to spend some more time with you."

After my long talk with Dad, we both continued to sit by the pool with our legs in the water till our skin got pruny, looking up at the stars and enjoying our time spent together.


22 comments:

  1. At least Armand realized he was acting unreasonably and childish. It's heart breaking that he feels that no one cares about him but his dad. Hopefully that will change the more he tries to change. Patrick is so patient with him and it seems that Armand still wants to make sure his dad is happy. It's awful that he felt Katya hated him and that he was surprised that no one was yelling at him for how he reacted to their announcement. He shouldn't have to feel like that ever. I hope one day he'll let the past go so that he can get on with his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, Armand knew as the words were flying out of his mouth that he was acting disrespectful and immature, but he couldn't stop himself. His over analyzing personality came in handy when he was walking around the pool as he was trying to figure out what the hell he just did. LOL.

      Armand's kind of standing in his own way when it comes to him feeling like no one but Patrick cares about him. He purposely kept to himself at college up until he met Remy by accident, so by not seeking out friends, it gave him a self fulfilling prophecy. If no one knows him, then they can't care about him. Remy hopefully will be one of the people he needs to help him eventually shake that feeling.

      Armand and Patrick formed an impenetrable bond when they had to deal with Katya. They were both being hurt so much by her that they clung to each other for dear life, and that bond is still here. I think in their eyes, they'll always see the other as most important in their life. That's maybe the only good thing that came out of Patrick and Katya's marriage because Armand and Patrick's relationship may have been slightly different had they not felt like they were helpless without each other.

      Yeah, Armand remembers that talking to Katya would usually result in him saying one thing and her going off on him, so he was really surprised when he was the one yelling, but no one was mad at him. Mm-hmm I hope that he can move on as well, for his sake. T_T

      Delete
  2. Ooohh where'd you get those awesome poolside poses? LOLL ;D
    Aww, Armand's face when Patrick called at him from the patio doors, plus the flashback photo on top of that.. So cute hahaha
    That conversation was, I'm sure, hard for Armand and Patrick, but I think it was completely necessary and definitely needed, especially for Armand. He had a lot of questions for Patrick and he got answers, good answers, to pretty much all of them. I like how they were always so close, but I think this whole time spent together just brought them so much closer as father and son. Armand just seems a little all over the place when it comes to his emotions, I hope that he can find at least a little peace soon haha XD
    Looking forward to the next chapter :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I think it was some cool chick I know who writes about insane people. LOLL <3

      Thanks, LOL, for some reason I'm having fun putting flashback pictures in Armand's thoughts and that one was really fun because it matched somewhat the way he was standing. Hahaha. I think it reiterates too, how stuck in the past Armand really is. T_T

      Yeah, that conversation was definitely hard for Patrick because he hates seeing Armand suffer so much, and those deep things Armand told him about his lack of self worth really pulled at Patrick's heartstrings. Similarly, Armand has been seeking answers the whole time since he's been away at college, and trying so hard to find a sense of identity, so it was hard for him to remember those horrible memories of his childhood, but he had to do it to find those answers. Armand is lost, and he doesn't know what he wants, well he does, but he doesn't think he is good at what he wants, and he doesn't know who he is, mostly. He'd been told so often by Katya to be a certain way, especially when he was in elementary school, that he never quite figured out who he really was. It definitely wreaks havoc on his emotional being, at the very least hopefully he can quit thinking so damn much! LOL.

      Delete
  3. Ahhh Armand, and his conflicting thoughts. :)
    He really needs some friends...Of course there's people who care about him, he just doesn't see it yet. I understand how he feels but he needs to realize that there are people that love him, he's like depressed... Damn. :(
    He's always bringing himself down, he needs to stop doing that.

    "Just because I don't believe in marriage" I used to say the exact same thing when my parents split but I don't think that way anymore...Things change, maybe Armand will too. You can't base your future on your parent's failed marriage, it doesn't mean you're automatically doomed...Doesn't he want kids O.o

    I guess I can understand him not wanting to get MARRIED but...
    Even if he doesn't want to get married and have kids he should at least have some sort of desire for love...Who doesn't want to be loved? Hopefully he gets over all of that...

    I'm glad his dad sat down and talked to him, that was so sweet. <3

    I really like Armand, I can relate to him in many ways than one...It's like I'm reading about my own childhood when I read this which kind of sucks but it's whatever... Nice chapter :)

    I liked that little flashback he had...He was an adorable little boy...Now he's just sexy lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mm-hmm, poor Armand. Haha, he thinks way too much. Part of his problem is that he never opened up to anyone so then people didn't know him very well, so it's hard to care for someone you don't know. That's where his thinking that Patrick is the only one who cares for him comes from. Of course it's not true, the rest of his family, excluding Katya, cares about him, and you're right he doesn't see it yet. Hopefully now that he met Remy, he can start to see that. Yeah, he's depressed quite often, poor Armand.

      Haha, yeah. Armand's lost. He never got a chance to find himself, find out what he likes, or believes, since Katya was constantly not letting him be himself. She kept wanting him to get haircuts, and then she'd dump him off at Carisa's house, so he was always being treated like he was a transient or something LOL, so he just shut himself off. As a result he's very unsure of everything, including what he thinks about marriage. For now he's still young, and there's plenty of time for him to form a more solid basis on that topic. Also now since he's still in the past so much, the only marriage he remembers ended in tragic heartbreak for both husband and child, so marriage to him just sounds like hell. When it's the only thing you've ever known, it's quite difficult to even believe that there's a different way. Armand has no idea if he wants kids, he still doesn't even know who he is as a person. He's got to get his shit together before he even asks himself that. LOL.

      Armand does want love, but not relationships. LOL. In his head at the moment, that makes sense to him just because of everything he's been through. It doesn't actually make sense of course, LOL. He's got a long ways to go before he has to worry about that stuff, since it's only the beginning of the generation, so more than likely he'll get over it someday. XD

      Patrick is the one person he can count on to be there, and Armand knew deep down that Patrick would come find him. He always has before, like when Armand was a teenager and had that outburst where he was throwing paint all over the room.

      LOL aww, I'm glad Armand is a relatable character. :) Thank you.

      LMAO. Sexy indeed. XD

      Delete
  4. i'm glad patrick has dealt with the past and moved on from it. i just hope armand can move on from the past as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Patrick has healed a lot since we last saw him, and hopefully with the wisdom he passed onto Armand, he can do the same. :)

      Delete
  5. Sheesh, Armand... it must be extremely frustrating to know exactly that you are acting like a fool yet being unable to help it about.all.of.the.time -.-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly the reason Armand is so frustrated all the time. He's stuck in a vicious cycle where he knows he acts dumb, so then he gets mad at himself for acting dumb, but then he doesn't know how to quit doing it, so it ends up with him hating himself constantly. Hopefully he will take Patrick's advice and let others into his life who can help him change his ways.

      Delete
  6. Patrick - ever perfect Patrick. :)

    He handled that better than I would have... Heck, better than I did. I really hope that Ephemera is as understanding - and I have a feeling that she might be. Armand, in so many ways, is still such a child at heart. I swear to God, if you shack him up with some bitch that rips him up I'm gonna have to kill her. >,> Don't make me have to kill somebody. lol

    *also. I laughed despite myself with the "universal sign that your parent meant business". I actually feel like that with my first name - I HATE when people call me Amanda, partially because the only time I got called Amanda as a kid was when I was getting in trouble. It puts me on edge almost as bad as when a stranger calls me "sweetheart". Maybe Armand and I have something in common - we both feel affection we don't expect to be inherently untrustworthy. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL uh huh, Patrick knows his son better than Armand knows himself, and he's been there, all cranky and irritated, when he thinks of Katya. Patrick knew Armand was thinking about Katya as he was yelling at Patrick, so he didn't take it personally. He was just more concerned with what was bothering Armand. Haha yeah, you'll find out Ephemera's reaction later. For now, she's just confused and sad for Armand. LOL, I have a better relationship planned for Armand when he finds that girl he wants to be with. XD One of the things from Rosemary's Baby (at least the remake I saw that inspired this generation) is that the couple in it does genuinely love each other, and I will be using that relationship style for Armand. I feel like Armand has been through enough turmoil in his life. He doesn't really need extra crap thrown at him in his future love life. His thoughts are torture enough.

      Heehee, yeah, when Patrick uses Armand's middle name, Armand's like "oh shit." LOL. Hmm yeah, that's pretty accurate, unexpected affection is viewed as untrustworthy. XD All because stupid Katya only showed him affection when she was manipulating him.
      -__- She was such a dumb bitch. Ugh.

      Delete
  7. Ahh I love that Armand has Patrick to talk to. Although this talk was probably very difficult for both of them, I feel like it really helped and made a big difference. I know it cleared up Armand's reaction to Patrick and Ephemera's engagement and explained the emotions Armand is experiencing right now. It just sucks how much Katya messed with Armand's emotions and self-confidence and still does, even after death. I do find it pretty amazing though that, at the same time, Armand is so self-aware. So interesting. Man. I just adore these father-son talks you have in your story! Love 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick will always go and try to find what's bothering Armand, rather than just yelling at him for having a blowup. He understands Armand, which is really all Armand needs. Armand and Patrick have formed a really close bond over the years, so even the tough things are made somewhat easier to talk about because there's such a deep level of trust between them. They went through hell together and they came out the other side, still connected to each other.

      It's crazy how that happens isn't it, even after death, memories can haunt people so much that it feels like it's real. Armand is really self-aware because he hated Katya so much that he doesn't want to be like her. It is ironic that he acts like her a lot, but then he realizes it and he hates himself for it. He is self-aware because he feels like he has to analyze his behavior so that he doesn't turn out like her. He'll fail sometimes at not being like her, but he'll still try because he hates that part of himself a lot.

      Eee! Thank you. LOL. I really like breaking the "men aren't good parents" stereotype, so I love having the son always be able to go to his dad for anything.

      Delete
  8. I just. . .Dude!!! I friggin love Patrick!!! Best dad ever!!! From the advice he gave about marriage, encouraging Armand to keep working on himself and pushing through the pain, encouraging him to talk to Ephemera about his mom, how understanding he was about how Armand reacted to the news of the engagement. . .I honestly fought back tears during parts of their talk. Just insanely awesome!

    I'm curious what Ephemera will say about Katya's response to Armand. If she really knows why Katya treated Armand the way she did. There really isn't a good excuse but I'm still interested why she did. Maybe finding out will bring some closure for Armand.

    Awesome chapter my friend! On to read the next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL aww. Thanks. ♥ I love father-son talks. =D Patrick learned it from Max, and now he's employing the same love and understanding to Armand that Max always showed him. Patrick understands Armand a lot, so he knew not to take Armand's words about him and Ephemera personally. Patrick learned a lot more about Armand here, like his thoughts about marriage and how stuck in the past he really does feel, Since both Patrick and Armand went through similar emotional trauma from Katya, and Patrick found out there is light at the end of the tunnel, he wanted to tell Armand that it is possible to have those memories become faint, that it is possible to have a normal life. I'm glad you liked it. Haha, I think I had some tears well up when I wrote this too. XD

      Yeah, we didn't see Ephemera a whole lot when it came to Katya, they did hang out a little bit before Katya moved in with Patrick, but then they didn't because Katya changed so much as a person. What Ephemera thought will be revealed in the upcoming chapters, so that Armand gets closure, and can start moving on with his life.

      Thanks! =)

      Delete
  9. He's really messed up that kid. Katya did a hell of a lot of damage. I stand by my other comment, I think he needs the help of a professional. What he grew up with had colored his view on life in a major way.

    I'm glad he talked to his father and that he still has that open line of communication with him. From the way they talked, it almost sounded like his grandparents weren't around a lot to be that positive influence in his life. I would have hoped that their strong and loving relationship could have given him another perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... some of Armand's thoughts about himself were things I have experienced from people in my life. It is definitely very damaging to be treated that way. To this day, sometimes I have a hard time not getting really emotional when someone is incredibly nice to me. I got better without professional therapy, and I think Armand can as well.

      Oh yeah, father - son relationships are a big part of how I write, I like to show fathers in a good light because I hate that stereotype that only women make good parents. Patrick learned how to do that from Max, and he's passing it on to Armand. His grandparents are international celebrities, so they are busy people. They came when they could, but their jobs were very demanding. Once Armand didn't need to be babysat anymore, his grandparents went back to work full time. Armand does know that Patrick and his grandparents love him, he just has to be reminded of it sometimes. Something I've found from my experience was that negative behaviors have a way of sticking like glue, so much harder than positive experiences stick. Positive ones are so fragile it seems, and it's like they can be brushed away really easily, whereas negative ones just cling to you for dear life. It could just be me, but it's something I've felt heavily, so that could be also why I wrote the after-effects of Katya's mean-ness the way that I did.

      Delete
  10. Katya is still finding ways of making me hate her even after she is gone. I think Jazen is right and Armand does need some professional help as that bitch did a number on him.

    Patrick is able to get to him but he is the only person that can get to him. I do hope that spending the day with Ephmera will help him understand his mother's motivations a bit but I'm afraid that is too little too late. Thankfully Helena never had that baby she wanted because I'm afraid that child would have turned out just like Armand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I hate Katya too, and I don't even have to see her stupid face anymore. She's like raining hate on people all over the place. LOL. I'm not sure, Katya had professional help, and we all saw how well that worked out for her, haha. Armand just needs someone to talk to. Once he finds that person, other than Patrick, he will start to dig himself out of the large hole Katya threw him down.

      Hopefully the time Armand spends with Ephemera will help him to find another person who can talk to him. He needs all the help he can get. Armand really just wants closure, because he has so many questions about his mother. He's not expecting all the answers to be told to him because he knows how Katya was and how she didn't talk to anyone deeply about anything, but he wants to know the source of why he gets so down on himself, and he feels like it's something he hasn't yet figured out about Katya. Once he finds that he will feel a lot better.

      LOL so true, Helena probably would have been the same kind of mother Katya was. Some people just shouldn't have kids. They really shouldn't. XD

      Delete
  11. I apparently didn't comment on this one, but after re-reading it I figured I would because I appreciated it so much. This was such a good conversation between Patrick and Armand. I admittedly teared up when Armand told his father that he felt no one cared about him. I'm so glad that Patrick was there for him in those feelings, lending the quiet support he needed, and offering his words and questions when he was ready. It felt really therapeutic, and I think it was for Armand too. He needed to share those thoughts with someone to help break that self-defeating cycle he was caught in. He has a ways to go, of course, but this was such a well-written first step. As Patrick said, "People who try to change are the ones who succeed at it." ♥

    -LilyShadowWriter (IN CASE BLOGGER EATS MY IDENTITY AGAIN FDHJFDKSFDS)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LilyShadow! Hello! Haha, I had to re-read this to remember so I could respond appropriately LOL. I teared up at exactly the same spot! Haha nice. I love that my writing does that for both my readers as well as myself. Patrick and Armand have a super strong connection because Katya was such a bitch to both of them, it's the one good thing she ever did while she was alive. Due to that, Patrick knows expertly when to stay silent and when to offer advice, and you bet your ass it was therapeutic for Armand too. Thanks for coming back and reading this! :)

      Delete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com