Friday, February 27, 2015

Armand Five: Quelling My Fears

Music Track - Play if you want to listen - Late Knight Simmer -


I keep going to the river to pray / Cause I need something that can wash all the pain / And at most, I'm sleeping all these demons away / But your ghost, the ghost of you, it keeps me awake

My friends had you figured out / Yeah, they saw what's inside of you / You tried hiding another you / But your evil was coming through / These eyes sitting on the wall / They watch every move I make / Bright light living in the shade / Your cold heart makes my spirit shake / I had to go through hell to prove I'm not insane / Had to meet the devil just to know his name / And that's when my love was burning / Yeah, it's still burning


I keep going to the river to pray / Cause I need something that can wash all the pain / And at most, I'm sleeping all these demons away / But your ghost, the ghost of you, it keeps me awake

Each time that I think you go / I turn around and you're creeping in / And I let you under my skin / Cause I love living in the sin / Boy you never told me / True love was going to hurt / True pain I don't deserve / Truth is that I never learn

I keep going to the river to pray / Cause I need something that can wash all the pain / And at most, I'm sleeping all these demons away / But your ghost, the ghost of you, it keeps me awake

Give up the ghost / Give up the ghost / Give up the ghost / Stop the haunting baby / Give up the ghost / Give up the ghost / Give up the ghost / No more haunting baby / I keep going to the river

I keep going to the river to pray / Cause I need something that can wash all the pain / And at most, I'm sleeping all these demons away / But your ghost, the ghost of you, it keeps me awake


Lyrics from Ghost, by Ella Henderson


My phone alarm went off, playing the song Ghost because I had set my alarm to play one of my Pandora stations. That song really resonated with me and how I felt a lot of the time. I found it ironic that the song had popped up today, the night after I had a heartfelt talk with Dad about trying to move on from the past. I smiled to myself when I thought about how much I really did love music because it soothed me. I had used music as a retreat often times when Mom would argue with me, and I regretted that I hadn't been seeking comfort in it as much as I had used to. The hustle and bustle of college was keeping me much too busy to enjoy the simpler things in life. I was supposed to play my guitar for school. but there in itself lay the problem. The novelty of how I used to feel when playing it was replaced by the chore of needing to do it for school. My realization that music had once given me peace made me promise myself that I would use this Thanksgiving break to truly relax and enjoy the things about myself that I had buried deep within my soul.


I sat on my bed for a little while, watching the California sun shine in through my windows, looking around at my new room and savoring every bit of it, from the gorgeous curtains to the well designed sitting area with my own brand new television. I was touched Dad had gotten it for me because I knew he himself wasn't much of a television watcher. He didn't forbid me from watching it or anything when I was little, but I was always holed up in my room because of Mom, and didn't spend much time in the home theater room of our house. Any time I was dumped off at Carisa's house, Mikayla's father would always play board games with us and feed us snacks. I had been deprived of television a lot as well, it seemed I had been deprived of a lot of things, but my keeping in touch with Dad and talking to him about shows I had recently been watching had clearly paid off. Everything Dad had done to my room while I was away I felt was him trying to apologize for the past. Now that he was with a woman who was letting him be himself, I felt like he was finally able to look outward and realize all the things that he had missed while he was with Mom.


Glancing around the rest of my room, I was reminded of the new art supplies I had also been blessed with, and I decided to try them out. I squirted some colors out on the palette and started painting. I didn't know what I was going to paint yet, but I knew that I wanted to give it to Dad and Ephemera as an engagement present, as well as an apology for being ridiculous last night. As I painted, I thought about the last part of my conversation with Dad, about how Ephemera wanted to get to know me better. I wondered if I would have been as damaged as I am now if I had gotten to know Ephemera when I was a child. She seemed way more nurturing than Mom could ever hope to be. Out of respect for Dad, I knew that when Ephemera and Emmanuel came over, it was for his job, so I didn't intrude when Dad was working. When I was done with my painting, I stepped back to look at it, satisfied with my work, hoping that Dad and Ephemera would enjoy it.


My stomach grumbled, and I realized I had been up here painting and daydreaming for about two hours since I had gotten up. I touched the shiny handles of my new dresser and smiled again as I pulled out a shirt to put on before I went downstairs. I grabbed my paintbrushes and palette, taking them with me so I could wash the paint off of them in the guest bathroom upstairs. When I was done with the cleaning, I left the brushes and palette on the sink so they could dry.


I went downstairs and made myself something to eat, seeing Ephemera out on the back patio at the small dining table reading a book. I did a double take because Mom was always reading, but I shook away the fear as I prepared my breakfast. I decided to act on Dad's advice and talk to Ephemera a little bit while I was at home. The fear she would scream at me for interrupting her reading pushed its way forward to the front of my mind as I got closer to the door, and when my hand touched the door handle, I panicked a lot, trying not to drop my plate. She's not Mom, she's not Mom... I tried to reassure myself of what I was attempting to do at the moment, and finally worked up enough courage to open the damn door.


I walked towards the table and set my plate down, when Ephemera looked up at me with a smile.

"Good morning, Armand. Did you sleep well?"

"Morning, Ephemera, I did. How about you?"

See... Armand? It's easy. I took a seat, feeling a little better than I had earlier, but still paranoid because Ephemera had the book open on the table. I still had the feeling she was going to shoo me away eventually because she hadn't closed the book or bookmarked it, which said to me that she had every intention of reading it and ignoring me.


"Pretty well. Armand, are you okay?"

"Um.. yeah... why?"

"Well, you kind of look a little scared. I don't bite."

Ephemera grinned as she made her joke, obviously trying to make me feel more comfortable around her, which I appreciated. It's now or never, Armand. I figured if she wanted to know me better, she was probably going to have to hear the depressing parts about me, the parts that up until now, only Dad knew. Here goes nothing.

"I was scared you were going to get mad at me for sitting with you while you were reading your book. I don't want to impose on your space."

I cringed, expecting to hear Ephemera tell me how stupid and lame I was for even thinking such a ridiculous thought. What I heard actually pass her lips, however, was not what I expected at all.


"Oh, honey, this is your home. If anything, I am sorry if I am making you feel like I imposed on your space, in your life. It can't have been easy for you to come home for your first visit and see me living here. I'm sorry if it seemed fast, and honestly, when your dad asked me to move in, I was reluctant, not because I didn't want to live with your dad, but because I didn't want to make you feel uncomfortable. I saw a little bit of how you were treated when you were a child, and I didn't want to add any more bad feelings for you. Eventually, your dad convinced me it was okay because he wanted me here, and he said you would understand. I would never try to make you feel like you have to obey me because I'm your new parental figure or anything like that."

Shock would not even begin to describe my reaction to what she said. I'm pretty sure I looked dazed and confused as I looked back at her, not even sure what the hell to reply with. She was apologizing to me? After I was the one who was ridiculous last night? She wasn't demanding that I say sorry for being an asshole? I was amazed that she had put that much thought into how I was going to feel about her being here. Time seemed to have stopped and I felt like I had been staring at her for a long time, but she just sat there patiently, not questioning why I wasn't answering her, not giving me dirty looks for being quiet, and not ignoring me. Surely with how much time had passed without me saying anything, I should have been yelled at plenty of times by now. Instead, I saw concern in her eyes. Finally, I was able to form words again.


"Ephemera? I am really happy you are here. You've shown me more love in the day and a half that I have been back than Mom showed me the whole time I was growing up. You're not imposing at all, and if you want to step into the role of mother for me, I would welcome you with open arms. I never felt like I had a proper mother."

I was beginning to understand what Dad meant about letting people in. It was hard for me to tell Ephemera about the comparison between her and Mom, but I felt somehow lighter after telling her that. I had a feeling now that she had found Dad, they would be together forever, so I had no problems opening up to her. I suddenly felt confident that she wouldn't abandon me, just like Dad would never abandon me. It was rare that I could feel confidence, but I did sometimes, and I knew I wanted to feel that way more often. Much more often. It was a great feeling.

"Armand, if you would like, I want to get to know you better, and I think this week while you're back, especially since it's Thanksgiving, would be a great time to do it. Thank you so much for being so accepting of me, and quelling my fears about stepping in your life like this."


"I would like that. If you don't mind, I'd also like to try to find some answers about my past. I'm kind of stuck in it, and I feel like you might be able to help shed some light on it for me."

"Oh, I wasn't close to your mother, but I do want to answer some of your questions to the best of my ability. I want to apologize in advance if I can't help you get everything you need."

"It's okay, I don't expect you to know everything, just the fact that you're sitting here talking to me is really nice."

I couldn't remember the last time I had ever talked to Mom like this and had a normal conversation, so I was really happy that I was getting a second chance to have a mom with Ephemera. Maybe finally Mom would stop haunting me and I would be able to put her ghost to rest.


24 comments:

  1. Dear me.
    The ghost of his mother is really constantly hovering over him... poor guy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she really is. Maybe one day he can be free from her. Talking to Ephemera was a great start for him. It's little baby steps for Armand, LOL. It really shows how a parent can totally mess up their child... :/

      Delete
  2. I feel really sorry for Armand, Katya messed his head up to the max.
    It must be very awkward for Emphemera too - knowing how her sister used to be
    but she seems to be the complete opposite of Katya and should be good for both Patrick and Armand.
    The song is very fitting with the chapter - I love that song and have used it myself ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Armand's definitely having a lot of problems that he is struggling to untangle. Ephemera is doing her best to let Armand know that she wants to be his friend. It is a little awkward for her because she doesn't want to be too pushy, but luckily, her natural personality is more genuine than Katya's, and Ephemera has more confidence than Katya did. Ephemera is more open than Katya was, so she'll talk about how she feels, if she feels awkward, she'll say it, like she did here, when she told Armand she was scared he would feel like she was trying to take the place of Katya. Her main goal is just to see Patrick and Armand healed from the damage Katya inflicted on them.
      Aww thanks, I heard the song on the radio one day and immediately thought of Armand when the lyrics came on. :D

      Delete
  3. :( Katya truly showed how deeply a parent could negatively impact their child; I wish she'd been better to Armand. I'm glad that Emphemera is nothing like her sister and that Armand was able to talk with her.
    Also, I love that song (I listen to iTunes radio's top 50 and they kept playing it over and over a month or so ago, and I found it enjoyable, so I eventually gave in and bought it) it worked very well with the chapter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Katya was horrible as a parent. Haha, it would have been nice if she wasn't such a shitty mother, but life doesn't always give us what we want. It's how we come out of the bad times that develops character. Armand will be a stronger person because Katya treated him like shit, once he conquers his insecurities, of course. Armand is taking a good first step here by listening to Patrick's advice and reaching out to Ephemera. Now that they've broken the ice with each other, maybe Armand can finally feel what he should have felt from Katya.
      IKR? That song is awesome. Haha, it was one that I didn't mind if it got stuck in my head. XD Thank you. :)

      Delete
  4. Hmmm I wonder what he could possibly want to ask her about Katya...I love Armand ^_^ <3
    Ephemera was so understanding and Armand was being so shy and uncomfortable but hopefully he's a little bit over that by now.
    And I understand how Armand feels like playing is some sort of chore just because of his classes but when the semester/performance he's preparing for? Is over....he'll feel much better....Ugh I hate the pressuring feeling of having to nail every note and practice, practice, practice...You love doing it but it just becomes unpleasant when it feels that way :/
    When this chapter first started I thought he was going to be waking up next to a girl or something of that nature and I had a weird feeling in my stomach almost like I was disgusted lol. He's just so nice to look at...Sexy ass blue-eyed Angel ;)
    I was lmao when he did that double take, thinking Ephemera was somehow his mom just because she was reading lol.
    Nice song. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww haha, thanks. Oh I don't know, his main question is "why was Mom such a huge bitch." ROFL, just kidding, but seriously, questions of why Katya resented him so much often cross his mind because he knows that moms normally love their children, like how Patrick loves him, even when he misbehaves, so he's really confused why Katya was the way she was. This was the initial icebreaker between them, and Armand felt bad for yelling at Ephemera the night before, so he was scared she'd be pissed at him. Now that Armand knows Ephemera's feelings about him and that she seems to be a normal person, LOL, he'll definitely be much less uncomfortable around her.
      Yeah, even on this short break, he's already remembering he does like his guitar, he just had buried that while college was going on. The pressure teachers put on students is unreal, and I hate it. >_<
      LOL, yeah? You thought he'd do like he did in the first chapter? XD He is at home though, he'd never disrespect his father like that, by bringing a one night stand back to his father's house while he was visiting for break. XD I'm not surprised that gave you a disgusting feeling, that sounds like a disgusting situation. LOL. :D I guess I don't blame you, I do write a lot of sex scenes. LMAO.
      Yeah, well the only other blonde woman he's seen reading at this house was Katya, so it was just what his mind went to, since he's got issues with the past and all that. Hehe.
      Thank you! <3 I thought the song was perfect because when I heard it for the first time, Armand's sexy ass blue eyes popped up in my head. LOL.

      Delete
  5. I wish Katya would stop haunting Armand he deserves some peace from her. I can imagine him being uncomfortable around anyone who has their noise in a book. Afraid of disturbing them because his mother would have been upset if he disrupted her while reading. It's kind of a conditioned reflex for him to react that because of Katya. It was really sad that in the short time around Ephemera he already feels more love form her than all the years with Katya. I hope Ephemera is able to answer some of his questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Armand agrees with that 100%, LOL, that Katya would stop haunting him. It probably doesn't help that Ephemera is also blonde, and yeah, the only other memory he has of a blonde woman reading a book screamed at him repeatedly... yeah, you understood it very well. :D
      True, it was sad that Katya was never able to make him feel loved, but on the flip side, it is very nice that he already feels so much love from Ephemera. It will help with the transition of her becoming his stepmother. I hope she can answer some of his questions too, LOL, I'm still trying to work out in my head how much she would know about all of that, given Katya never talked to anyone very much.

      Delete
  6. This chapter made me happy. I like how Armand woke up happy and even went as far as to make something for his dad and Ephemera as an apology as well as an engagement gift. :D
    It was nice seeing Armand talk with Ephemera, too. I think it really helped bring of few of Armand's walls down regarding letting people in and it's good that their relationship is getting better, especially if she's going to be part of his life soon. I hope Ephemera can answer everything Armand is curious about and I'm glad he feels comfortable enough with her to even talk with her about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this chapter was a happy one, overall, I'm happy you picked up on it, LOL, there was still this negative crap looming over Armand, but I did mean for it to be a hopeful chapter. He finally woke up in a good mood for the first time in a long time.
      It really did help him, seeing that Ephemera was willing to be his friend, and I think the more he sees people's willingness to help him, the more he'll heal. Armand's always gotten a good vibe from Ephemera, even as a child, he didn't know her very well, but she never made him feel threatened, so he's remembering that while he tries to open up, and that's adding to his comfort level with her. :D

      Delete
  7. AWE! Ephemera has definitely earned a place in my heart now. I bet Patrick kinda explained his outburst so that she wasn't awkward or trying to avoid him today. I adore that she thought of him, and even that she reached out to him.

    I hope that you get some answers that make you able to let her go too Armand. You deserve a little "normal"... Well, you'll never be normal because your amazing - and absolutely fucking gorgeous - but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ephemera is trying to find that balance between being "the new person" in the family, like she knows Patrick and Armand have a really strong bond, so she wants to be supportive, and not step on their toes. She wants to be a part of their family, but she doesn't want to push her way in and make them feel like she's intruding. She was really scared Armand was thinking that about her when he stormed off at dinner. Yes, Patrick talked to her and clued her in on what he talked about with Armand, so she was relieved. Since she knows Patrick and Armand are so close, she wants to know Armand too because he's a part of Patrick's life. She's embracing this new part of her life with open arms, even if there are difficult parts and rough patches she needs to deal with.

      Armand feels like a prisoner right now, to his thoughts, and to Katya, even though she's burning in hell, LOL. He's really hoping Ephemera can shed some light on the darkness that's surrounding him everyday. Awww, yes I did know what you mean. I love that you feel that way about him. ^_^ Thank you for saying that. :)

      Delete
  8. Ok, so I'm starting to like her again. Geez. haha I hope that she can help Armand. And I'm so glad that the day started out so well for him. Must be so shocking, though, still when he's so used to the complete opposite. Maybe Ephemera will be good for Patrick and Armand. I hope so. I love Armand already. I hate that he is always in conflict with himself. Freaking Katya. Makes me so made what type of lasting influence she behavior while Armand was a kid has had on his life today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. I wanted people to start changing their minds about Ephemera in this chapter. Well, I wanted that to start in the chapter where Patrick announces they're engaged, but I knew it wasn't going to happen right away. This chapter though, is another one of those anchor chapters where I am developing Ephemera's personality and showing her growth. I hope she can help him too, he's really, really screwed up in the head. Yeah, for the first time, he woke up happy and not dreading things. It was a good turning point for him. He's got a taste of how his life could be if he could change his thought process. Armand is definitely shocked, but he likes the change, so he's going to try to go with it the best that he can. Katya definitely... was a whole different kind of evil... the lasting kind, the kind that gets under your skin and breaks you to the point where you don't even know who you are anymore.

      Delete
  9. Hope is a powerful thing. It can silence fears, give people courage, make the impossible seem possible. . .and I think Armand has found a little now. It's amazing how one person can influence the life of another, good and bad and it's way harder for good circumstances to overpower the previous bad ones but at this moment it seems that that's what's happening for Armand.

    Ephemera. . .I just have to say this because I've had a bit of experience with step mothers and they were not good. She rocks. She's what I always wanted in a step mother but never got. And now that my dad is actually married to a decent person, I don't even live in the same state, so I really relate to Armand feeling like he's missing out on not living there with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, a very true statement about hope. Even the tiniest shred of hope is enough. Ugh, Armand was so abused as a child, *sigh* LOL, yeah and all those years of pain he endured are not going to go away easily, but he is holding onto that little hope he found and pulling himself out of the pit. LOL.

      Aww, sorry your previous stepmothers were awful. I'm glad you could relate though. Heehee, it was always my intention to have Katya and Ephemera switch roles, with Ephemera being the one Patrick probably should have been with in the beginning, but life getting in the way, and such. Ephemera will explain a little more about her perspective of generation two in another chapter. =D

      Delete
  10. Oh wow. That was a great talk between Ephemera and Armand. It was sad to hear how nervous he was to even go out on the patio because of how often Katya would yell at him.

    That talk cleared the air between the two of them and that's a start. Hopefully he can get some answers about Katya to help put those demons to death and move on with his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Armand has opened up and both he and Ephemera have realized they have no need to be afraid of each other. In contrast, this was supposed to be a happy chapter, because as he was remembering all the things Katya used to do to him, Ephemera does the exact opposite. It's almost like because Katya was so horrible, he can literally feel the difference when he's expecting to be yelled at, but it never comes.

      Ephemera wants to help as much as she can, and she'll try her hardest to help him move on and heal. :D

      Delete
  11. His mother really ruined any potential relationships he will have with any woman in the future. If Ephemera didn't prove herself not to be like his mother he wouldn't have trusted her one bit. Once she apologized to him he realized she was not like his mother at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Katya was the worst, but hopefully with Ephemera actually treating him like a human, and then her being a positive motherly figure for him, will help him see that he doesn't have to be scared of relationships. He's starting to come around already because he sees the difference.

      Delete
  12. Another really wonderful conversation that I can't help but comment on. Honestly, I was a little confused why I hadn't before, but I skipped ahead a little and finally found my first comment and as I suspected, it seemed I was catching up and was relatively quiet until I did so! Once I get there again I'll go ahead and sign the comment for you so you can put some names to these Anons again, haha.

    Anyway, Emphemera is wonderful. She's not only really great for helping Patrick find happiness in his life again after the damage Katya caused, but also really great for being there for Armand now when he never had that with his own mother. She's a positive presence in both their lives and I'm glad that she'll continue to be so ♥

    -LilyShadowWriter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey LilyShadow! Yes, it would appear that Armand finally has two functioning parents. Amazing! LOL. Ephemera had her own rocky childhood, what with never getting along with Katya, their third sister Sandra being pretty estranged as well, their mom not being the greatest, and her dad not knowing how to deal with all of them, so Ephemera has so much love in her heart for this family that she gets to be a part of. A family that she knows loves her despite all of the shit that happened in her life. Really, she just wants unconditional love as much as Armand and Patrick do, so these three are a great match.
      Thanks so much for supporting Echoes! <3

      Delete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com