Sunday, August 17, 2014

Patrick Twenty-Three: Letting Go

I had started going to the bar on weekends with Emmanuel to perform for an hour and a half, managing to keep it from Katya for an entire year so far. That might have been bad, to keep secrets from her, but I didn't think she would have let me perform, and I needed that outlet. I just told her I was hanging out with Emmanuel every Saturday, which she was fine with, now that she had Carisa. I also didn't tell her that Jaxson had confessed because I was pretty sure she would get paranoid again just because he had talked to me. Keeping my weekend performing a secret seemed to be working for me, as Katya was slightly more pleasant when I wasn't depressed. She would smile at me more instead of scowling so much, and our sex life got better because she wouldn't yell that I wasn't into it anymore.


I never thought that being at the bar would have been exhilarating and satisfying, but it is amazing what a change in perspective can do for a person. Before, the bar was a stepping stone to bigger performances, but now that the bar was the only place I could do magic, it became special. Even though the bar wasn't equipped to do any of my really complicated illusions, I was grateful that I could at least do a small bit of what I loved. I wasn't as annoyed at Katya anymore, and when she would ask me to do one of her "honey-do" lists, I didn't mind. I felt my resentment towards her slowly melting away.

"Great performance tonight, Hunter!"


I had just finished another successful show at the bar, and was signing autographs when I felt someone tap me on the shoulder roughly, as if they were irritated with me. I turned around to see Katya standing there with Carisa, Katya looking upset while Carisa looked like a kid in a candy shop. She was probably excited to see drama unfold before her very eyes. No doubt Katya had been telling her about our marriage stuff, which was fine, since I had Emmanuel to vent to. I just didn't appreciate Carisa acting like our problems were so exciting for her, almost as if she was glad Katya and I were fighting.

"What the hell are you doing here, Patrick?"


"Um, I'm at a bar with Emmanuel, it's a free country."

Katya grit her teeth and scowled at me.

"Performance? You've been doing magic again behind my back?"

"If I had told you, you wouldn't have let me do it, so yes, I was doing it behind your back. Either way, I would have lost this fight because it's not what you want."

"Hunter! This round's on the house, for another one of your successful shows!"


The bartender called me over to the counter for a celebratory drink, which I gladly accepted. I ignored Katya after answering her most recent question, but I felt her eyes burning holes in my back as I walked away from her. I wasn't about to let her embarrass me or make me feel like shit like she always had in the past. There was no way in hell I was letting her ruin my night this time. Emmanuel came over and pet me on the shoulder to make sure I was okay. I pushed a drink over to him and toasted his glass.

"To many more future shows."


I knew I was behaving callously towards Katya, and possibly a little childish, by blatantly ignoring her and her death glare, but I deserved this, dammit. I deserved to be happy, and if performing at a bar on the weekends made me happy, then by all means, I was going to fucking do it. Life is short and I had spent too much time depressed and pissed off. This was my time. All of a sudden, Katya came over and shoved Emmanuel off to the side, grabbing my shirt and getting up in my face.

"Patrick! We're going home. We have a lot of stuff to discuss, and you're certainly not going to be doing this anymore."


"Nah. I'm going to stay here. Also, the fans love me. Isn't that right, guys?"

Everyone who had seen my show cheered and applauded, while some even blew whistles with their fingers.

"Why are you doing this, Patrick? Why are you acting like this?"


"I am taking my life back. You'll still be in it, if you choose to be, but you need to accept this part of me. I'm done stuffing who I am in a box to please you. You fell in love with me when I was doing magic, so find that part of yourself again, and come back to me."

"Whatever, Patrick. See you at home, I guess."


With that, Katya stalked off with Carisa, who put her arm around Katya. I turned around and continued drinking with Emmanuel. At least I had the support of my fans, and my best friend. It still hurt that my wife didn't support me, but I felt good that I stood up to her. She needed to see how important this was to me. I didn't know if what I'd said to her would make anything better, but I was glad I tried. After I finished my drink, I waited for Emmanuel and then we went back to my house. We were in the living room chatting when Armand came home.

"Hi, Daddy! Emmanuel! How are you?"

"Pretty good."

"Hi, Armand. Where have you been?"


"I was at Mikayla's. Mommy dropped me off there and then her and Mrs. Drescur went out. Mikayla's dad played a board game with us."

"Cool, did you have fun?"

"Yeah, I lost, but whatever. It was a good time. What are you and Emmanuel doing?"

"Nothing much, hanging out. We just got back from the bar. Did you get your homework done?"


"Yes I did. Daddy, do you and Emmanuel want to go swimming with me?"

"Okay, but not for long, I still want you to go to bed around ten o'clock. How about we swim for an hour?"

Armand nodded, and went up to his room to change into his swimming trunks. I let Emmanuel borrow a pair of mine and then we met Armand in the backyard, where I jumped into the pool, followed by Armand. Emmanuel decided to ease himself into the water. We held some underwater breath holding contests as well as some general swimming around. The water felt good on my skin, and I felt like it washed away quite a bit of my stress. Tonight was one of the best nights I'd had in a long time. True to his word, Armand got out of the pool after an hour and headed upstairs to bed.


"Good night Daddy, Emmanuel. I had fun with you guys."

After another half an hour, Emmanuel and I decided to have some beers. As we were in the kitchen, I heard the front door close, along with some shuffling around and giggling. I hadn't heard her laugh in a long time, but I still knew that it was Katya's voice. I rolled my eyes, then went out to the foyer, and put my arm around her to help her so she wouldn't fall down. She tried to stop giggling when she saw me, while also trying to regain her composure, but it didn't work very well.


Katya continued laughing, then made a serious face, then giggled again. She looked incredibly drunk.

"Are you all right, Katya?"

"Why do you care?"

"Umm, because I care about you, despite what you might think."

"Hmmph."

Katya crossed her arms over her chest and tried to say something else, but then looked like she was going to vomit. I gave her a trash can, which she promptly stuck her head down.


"Uggghhh."

I sighed, went into the kitchen to get her a paper towel to wipe her mouth, then carried her into the bedroom, putting the trash can next to her. She closed her eyes and passed out. I went back into the kitchen to talk to Emmanuel.


"Kind of looks like she had a rough night. Yikes."

"Yeah, I'll probably get some lecture tomorrow. You know how that goes."

"I'm proud of you, though, Patrick. I'm not trying to be all down on Katya, but I'm glad you stood up for yourself."

"Thank you, Emmanuel, for always being there for me, especially when I couldn't give you a job anymore."


"Aww, Patrick, our friendship is much more than me just working for you, you know that, right? I'm always here for you."

Emmanuel drew me into a hug, and I accepted it gratefully. I loved my best friend because of his loyalty and kindness. The fact that he preferred the love of men didn't bother me one bit, even if he was hugging me. I always felt the warmth that radiated from his being every time he did, and I adored his hugs. They made me feel like I mattered and sometimes that was exactly what I needed.



I opened my eyes to the natural daylight coming in from the glass on the windows of the bedroom. What is that smell? It's terrible. I looked down and there was a vomit filled trash can next to me. I got up slowly, and picked the trash can up, taking it to the bathroom, where I dumped the contents of the can into the toilet and flushed. Then I put the can in the shower and cleaned it out with scalding water, killing any germs and smell that remained in it. I set it on the floor to dry and then stepped into the shower, washing the bad memories of last night out of my mind.


I really didn't think that I had been taking away Patrick's livelihood until we talked in therapy that day. I thought magic was just a hobby that he would grow out of, but it turned out it was entwined somehow into his heart and soul. I did think it was cute that we met when he was doing magic tricks outside the grocery store, but I didn't understand how magic had become so much of his identity. When I heard that he had been performing last night, all I could think about was seeing him in a coma and how close I had come to losing him. He was lucky to have walked away from that coma with a fully healed body, without any neurological, emotional, or physical problems. I couldn't understand the drive he had to pursue the very thing that had nearly killed him.


I was also mad that he had done it behind my back, but he was absolutely right. If he had told me, I would have vehemently refused to let him perform. This past year, however, he had been much more attentive and less mopey, which I had mistakenly attributed to him settling into his office routine and being happier with Armand and I. I felt like a fool for being so wrong. He was better because he was performing again, it was like it was a drug to him. I thought the office job would be better for him because it was more grown up as well as being less dangerous, but he went back to magic anyway. Deep down, I knew my reason was because I thought magic was childish. He was a father now, he couldn't go around acting like a kid. I just wanted what was best for him, why couldn't he see that?


I remembered Patrick's coldness to me when I was at the bar trying to get him to come home with me. I felt sad, wondering if all of this was truly my fault. Should I have let him keep doing magic just to keep him happy? Would things have been better if I hadn't forced him to get the office job? No. I did the right thing. I couldn't sit back and take the chance that he could have died. He drives me crazy, but I love him. Now what do I do? It has been many years since the threat, and no one has ever followed through with it. Do I let him perform again, though? Will the threats come back? As much as I hate it, maybe I just need to find a way to accept that performing is always going to be part of his life.


22 comments:

  1. Im glad Patrick stood up for himself. Katya needs to understand magic is his life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, Patrick is happy too, he really needed to actually live his life, he kept feeling like he was just giving into Katya all the time, and he was tired of it. Katya needs to get over herself and just accept Patrick for who he is. LOL.

      Delete
  2. Ohh mann.. I though that Patrick was in the right this whole time, but him going behind Katya's back is only going to come back into his face.. Not saying I'm on Katya's side, but keeping secrets like this is what made them go to marriage counseling in the first place.. :/
    I'm scrolling up and down really fast to comment on the parts I'm reading, haha XD
    Ahh, I see.. Maybe Patrick feels better about their relationship because he's getting to do what he loves, so he's a little less angry about Katya's bullshit, but still, it's not good to lie.. T_T I actually don't like how he "stood up" to Katya.. Even though it was kind of good to do it in front of everyone, like his fans and friends to show her that he loves this and they love him, but a fight like that is meant for behind closed doors.. A celebrity like him could cause media drama, even.. U_U
    Ahh.. Even with more sight into Katya's point of view, I still feel like what Patrick did was wrong. Ugh.. Their relationship is so complicated, and I honestly feel like I'm constantly on the edge of bother of their sides now, teeter-totting or something LOL I hope they can work it out, but, after this, Idek.. T_T
    Looking forward to the next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, this chapter hits the quote that inspired this generation at its very core. The quote is "Secrets are my life." Yes, it's probably bad that he kept it from her, but like he said, she would have just told him not to do it, and then he'd just keep on being miserable. Them going to marriage counseling was because they couldn't stop arguing and Patrick thought they might need some help communicating. Obviously, it didn't work so well, LOL, since he felt like he had to do performances in secret.
      Yes, that's exactly it, he became less angry when he felt like he could breathe. Before, he felt suffocated when he couldn't do what he wanted, and when he kept being yelled at for doing it or liking it. Katya just wouldn't let up and he felt like he was drowning in his depression. The way he sort of told her off in the bar was a bit rude, LOL, but honestly, he was sick of her crap, and at the time he did it, he just didn't care anymore. He was so tired of how everything was going that he just said what was on his mind. It might have been better behind closed doors, like most of their fights are, but the one thing that made Patrick not go home and fight with her, was her demanding nature. Katya's "Come on, we're going home right now," was embarrassing for Patrick. He didn't want to be led out of the bar like a puppy by his wife, it would be like he just gave in to her so easily. The media would have a had a real heyday with that one, if he had just bowed his head and said okay Katya, you are the boss of me, so much so that you can drag me out of a bar by my shirt like a child. That's the main reason he stayed.
      LOL, yeah, complicated is a pretty accurate description of their marriage. Haha teeter-totter, it's for sure an up and down all the time with these two. XD
      Wheee! I'm excited to write the next one, haha, I'm so close to Generation 2 being done! :)

      Delete
  3. Ok, now I am extremely curious how Katya will cope. Don't get me wrong, I am glad Pat finally stood up for himself, even if he could have done it in a much better way than on the occasion of being accidentally caught by his wife, but still...
    Love Emmanuel to bit, btw ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll just have to see what Katya does now... haha, will her books be enough to help her cope or will she turn to something else...? LOL.
      Nothing about Patrick's life is ideal right now, including the place they just happened to have their argument. Neither choice was good, if he had let Katya drag him out of the bar, or staying to fight. Both of them would have still been embarrassed either way, and honestly, Patrick just didn't care anymore. He was so sick and tired of being treated badly by Katya.
      XD Emmanuel is perfect. LOL.

      Delete
  4. Maybe it wasn't the best time and place to do it but when you reach your breaking point it doesn't matter anymore. Patrick did what he felt he needed to do and with the way Katya was acting, treating him like a misbehaving child by demanding he go home didn't help the situation any.
    I hope that Katya realizes that magic is a big part of what makes Patrick who he is but since it hasn't happened yet I'm not going to hold my breath. I'm afraid I'll turn blue and die from suffocation first. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. LOL. Patrick at that point had just about had it with Katya, and her actions pretty much just rendered him done with caring. If Katya had been less demanding and bossy with her request that they go home, he might have gone home. What you said about the breaking point was exactly what happened here. :)
      LOL ikr? Katya had plenty of chances to accept Patrick for who he is, he accepted her, awkwardness and all of her wierdness when they first met, and in the first months of their relationship. She should try to accept him as well.

      Delete
  5. Patrick was in the wrong here, going to counselling meant he should have been honest from the start. Telling Katya she was driving them apart in counselling was good but what he did by the secret was just as bad.

    She may have tried to stop him doing what he loved but he would still have done it but knowing she knew and over time she would have come around. They love each other but with her insecurities he handled this all wrong.

    He needs to sit down with her tell her in not only loves her but this is what he loves and nicely, ask her to the shows because what he can't see is she is getting drunk all the time with this evil friend and he needs to spend time with her as well as balance his magic.

    Bottom line she feels unloved and they need to find a middle ground and she needs better friends too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, secrets are bad, but that was the theme for this generation, so I needed it to make an appearance again. In counselling, Katya kept shifting the blame onto Patrick, whereas Patrick revealed his true feelings about his depression, even though it was something Katya didn't want to hear. She had every chance to say what was really on her mind, but she chose not to, instead she chose to keep using fearing for his safety as an excuse. Even though her fear was rooted in truth, it's now become an excuse to hide the real reason she dislikes his magic.

      Are you sure Katya would have come around? She's been pretty adamant all these years after the threats that he should not step foot in performing ever. Especially now, with Katya revealing the real reason she doesn't like his magic? Patrick thought this too, that if she's been spending all this time fighting with him about it, she's not just going to all of a sudden be okay with it. He figured that he would lose either way, if he had told her, she would have said no, and if he would have done it anyway, then he would be wrong because he didn't listen to what she wanted. The way he did it here was also wrong, so it's a lose-lose situation for Patrick. Yes, deep down they love each other, but they're too busy picking on each other for petty things that they've lost touch with it.

      You are correct, as perceptive as Patrick is, with how much they have grown in distance from each other, Patrick isn't seeing how often Katya gets drunk. The point of them trying counselling was because they wanted to try to understand each other, but Patrick feels like it's very one-sided. They've let the distance get too wide, and now it's going to be difficult to touch base with each other again. When Patrick comes home from work, and Katya acts all bubbly, ignores how he feels, it's natural that Patrick wouldn't be jumping at the chance to spend time with her. He hasn't felt like he's been treated right in a long time. Not saying Katya's been treated the best either, but they're not communicating that to each other.

      True, but they both feel unloved. When Katya rejected such a huge part of Patrick, he felt very unloved. Middle ground would be wonderful, we'll have to see what happens with all of that. :D

      Thanks for commenting, Lckygrl! :)

      Delete
  6. Eew I admit the puke filled trash can made me a bit queasy. I understand why Patrick feels that he has to keep secrets from his wife, but like others have said, thats only going to worsen the problems...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, puke filled trash cans are nasty. *pukes* LOL.
      Very true. Secrets are never good, and it's only a matter of time before the secrets cause explosions.

      Delete
  7. I understand why he kept it from her, but keeping it from her was probably not the best thing. But he felt like he had been backed into a corner and didn't have any other choice. . .

    I find I'm having a hard time taking Katya seriously at this point. I don't know if I trust her anymore. She's such a mess and even though she thinks she gets it, it's going to take more time for me to believe it. You've written her so well and she's so complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secrets are never good, but like you said, Patrick was cornered and if he had told her, she would have nixed it immediately, causing them to argue about the same recycled bullshit. He's an adult he should be able to live freely, and sometimes you just have to resort to extreme measures when you're desperate.

      Haha, thanks. Katya is complicated, and stupid, usually. LOL. She's got her own secrets that she's not telling Patrick, so they're both just not doing well in the communication department. She thinks she gets it, but she really doesn't, at least not on the level that Patrick has tried time and again to explain to her. All she needs to do is understand him a little more, and look at all that he's done for their family instead of the constant nagging she's been choosing to do instead.

      Delete
  8. Woohoo Patrick! Way to get yourself together, man! It's pretty bad that he's hiding this from Katya but she never told him about how she danced with that guy at the club and all is fair in love and war sooo...Yeah :P Patrick was assertive and he told her like it is, she needs to back off and let him live his life.Katya was pretty rude, she could've gotten upset but she didn't have to cause that whole big scene in front of everyone. And then on top of that she comes home drunk yet she called Patrick irresponsible, how ironic. "He drives me crazy, but I love him." I love that line, it's so true. I'm glad Katya is starting to consider Patrick's feelings and realzing that it's not just about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah, both of them were in the wrong this chapter. It's the epitome of the quote that inspired this generation. :D Very true, she didn't tell him about the club. Patrick didn't tell her because he knew she would say no so he just felt like what's the point, either way I'm going to get yelled at, might as well do what I love and get yelled at, than be miserable and still get yelled at. LOL.

      Katya's mistake was trying to control Patrick in public, that was just rude of her, I agree. Katya is full of irony at the moment, she loves him, but she's not showing it very well, she thinks she knows what's best for him, but it ends up just making him depressed, and she hangs out with a ridiculous person who is a terrible influence on her, yet tells Patrick that he doesn't know what he's doing. *sigh* LOL.
      She may have started wondering what Patrick is feeling, but is it because she realizes it's not about her, or is it because she's realizing she has less control than she thought she had?

      Delete
  9. I love that Patrick started doing magic again, even if it is on a much reduced scale. And look at how happy something sooo little has made him! Awe! But keeping it a secret...? :/ Yikes! I can see that backfiring--oh wait, it just did! haha Oh dear. Ok, so I kinda hate that they argued like that at the bar, but then again, both of them were so upset and worked up that I can understand how it escalated that way.

    Whoa. Katya is getting aggressive. She's treating him like a five year old here, I feel like. And Patrick just seems like he doesn't care what she thinks or feels anymore, like he's completely over the fighting and disagreeing? Which I get. It seems to be the same thing, back and forth with them without anything being solved. I feel that they've lost sight of who they are to each other and their love for one another. Ahhhhh

    And then at the end, Katya's POV. I just can't decide how I feel about them/their relationship. I'd hate for them to separate, but I'm getting so frustrated over all this misunderstanding and petty arguing. >_< I'm so tense right now! haha Will they ever be able to make things work?!

    Great chapter! Stringing out all of my emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick knew that keeping it a secret from Katya was going to be bad when she found out, but he felt backed into a corner, like it was his only option because if he had told her, he never would have been able to perform again. This generation's all about secrets, and everyone having them. LOL. Katya never should have brought her problems with Patrick out in the public, you can bet the tabloid magazine had their fight on the front cover the next morning. XD Patrick was stuck, when Katya came and fought with him, her obviously starting it in front of everyone, he didn't want to listen to her and go home like a puppy with its tail between its legs, so he did the only thing he could, which was stand up for himself. I don't think it was right for them to do it like that at the bar either, but once it happened, there was no other way to redeem the situation. Thanks for understanding that. XD

      Patrick's reaction was distant and cold, mostly because if he argued with her like he did at home, he would have gotten much angrier. It was his way of keeping the situation from getting worse. He didn't like Katya airing their dirty laundry in a public place, so he was trying to answer her with as little information as he could, and walking away from her, hoping she would just stop confronting him. I think you're right, they've both lost sight of who they were before they married. Patrick's changed a little less, but Katya's view of him has changed a lot, as well as her personality changing very much over the years.

      LOL, this was a pretty intense chapter, both of them doing things that are seemingly wrong and keeping things from each other. Things just seem to keep steadily getting worse as the days go on... *hands you a stress ball*

      Delete
  10. I'm glad he stood up for himself! He needed to. What the hell is with these women trying to change the man they fell in love with? It frustrates me to no end to see this happening to Patrick. His worst fear about relationships coming true. The fighting Dustin and Helena did had a seemingly bigger impact on his life than the stable and loving relationship his parents have. :( I hate he has to go thru this.

    Oh I forgot to mention before but that therapist looked an awful lot like the guy she danced with at the bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick definitely needed to stand up to his wife. IDK... I have seen the women trying to change the men after they get married thing all too often, in real life, as well as in shows, and I thought I'd explore it in my story for now. It baffles me, and I would never try to change my hubs, just as much as I would never want him to try to change me. Well, I think it might seem like Helena and Dustin's relationship had a bigger impact on him simply because it's the constant conflict in his life that keeps rearing its ugly head, but his parents' relationship has rubbed off on how good he is with Armand. It's more of a subtle impact, but it is there, albeit being buried under the crap Katya keeps dumping on his head. Patrick's marriage is definitely a hard part of his life, but it is making him a stronger person, and forcing him to figure out what he really wants.

      You know what? I looked at those two Sims after you said that, and it is pure coincidence. I needed both Dr. Sheffield and the club guy for one chapter only, and it's possible I did pull the same Sim for Dr.Sheffield, forgetting that I had used him for club guy already. In no way did I ever intend for Katya to be almost cheating on Patrick with her therapist. ROFL. That's now become a funny outtake. :D

      Delete
  11. Its about time that he stood up for himself. Magic is a part of him and if Katya can't understand that, well she knows where the door is. Patrick needs to start living his life for him again and I hope he can get his career back to where it was before Katya made him quit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? Patrick really had been so patient, and he had to stop putting himself in the background because he was literally dying inside. Being a shell of a person is no way to live, and Katya needs to pull her head out of her butt. Patrick's pretty famous, well known, even before all the crap went down with his coma and him having to quit for those few years. The town remembers him, he'll be fine when he goes back to his career.

      Delete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com