Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Armand Thirteen: Healing Wounds

Guest Starring: Two Police Officers made by MrsOogieBoogie


I held onto the railing of the physical therapy bars while trying to move my legs at a normal pace. My doctor told me I hadn't woken up right away after my surgery to fix my internal bleeding, despite the fact that all my head CTs had come back clear. I had been kept under observation for a week to make sure I didn't develop a brain bleed from my dad kicking me in the head that night. After that, I still hadn't woken up, so they kept me in the hospital to make sure my ribs and wrist were healing, and to make sure my back wounds didn't get infected since some of the cuts were very deep. Finally, a month later, I opened my eyes. My body had physically healed from all its severe bruising, so my doctor sent me to a rehabilitation clinic. Today marked the day when I was supposed to get up and walk around so that I could relearn normal function. Laying in bed for a month had caused my muscles to become weak and even though they weren't completely atrophied, they were definitely tired and unwilling to support my weight without a bar to hang on to.


I can't really walk that well, and even standing seems to be a challenge. I am very glad my physical therapist Dylan is there to catch me when I undoubtedly fall. I wonder what Armand is doing today, and I wish that I could see him. I'm unsure though because as much as I want to see him, I don't want him to see me like this. I know that he's already seen me get bullied, so I'm not really afraid of him thinking I'm weak, since I'm fairly certain he already knows that. I just feel like with my newfound romantic feelings for him, it's making me really care about what he might want, and I don't want him to feel like I'm just a pain in his ass, someone that he has to fix because she's always fucked up. I know this is temporary and that I will regain full mobility since nothing is broken, and it's just a matter of my muscles remembering how to work again, but I still feel like if Armand saw me at this stage in my life, he would think less of me, like I was an inconvenience somehow? I'm having trouble finding the balance between standing up for myself and feeling defeated when I do. So far trying to do that has resulted in me getting beaten up twice.

"Okay, Desiree, that was really good, you walked pretty far for your first time. It'll get easier, I promise. We should do some stretches now, though."


My mother told me she visited everyday while I was in a coma, or so she says, since I didn't actually know what was happening around me. I believe her though, since I know that she loves me. She told me that Tracy and Samuel have been taken out of her custody because of what happened to me, and I have been feeling depressed about it. I caused my mom to endure the heartache of her children being taken away from her, all because I chose to disobey my dad. She keeps telling me that it's not my fault and that she's not mad at me, but I don't know that I believe her. After being punished so often, sometimes I wonder if it's even worth not submitting to dad like my whole family does.


Mom has been going through a custody hearing, where the law will determine whether she gets to keep raising Tracy and Samuel or if they'll permanently be placed in the foster care system. Dad has been going through a criminal hearing because the police said they had evidence that he beat me up so much I could have died. I don't know what will happen with that, but I know my family is permanently broken, and I feel completely responsible. I think I am at rock bottom today, and it's not a good place to be.

*Beep beep*

My phone made a notification sound just as I got done with my stretches, and I made my way over to one of the walls for support. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that the text was from Armand. A wave of panic came over me because of all the insecurities I had just been thinking about. I wanted to respond to him, but my fingers seemed to have forgotten how to work. Just at that moment, Dylan came over to take me back to my room. Responding to Armand was going to have to wait, and part of me was relieved.


***********************************************************************************

I stared at my phone, hoping that Desiree would answer my text. Sometimes I hated my phone app because I knew when she had seen the message, but then she wouldn't reply, and it would drive me crazy. Did she just hate me now or something because I kept pushing her to stand up to her father when she wasn't ready? Thanks, Mom, for teaching me to believe all these insecurities about myself. UGH.


"Are you waiting for those three dots to appear?"

Remy's voice knocked me out of my thoughts, and I suddenly remembered we were standing in front of the MuShu Dragon, our favorite Chinese restaurant.


"Yes. Do you think I should just give up? Maybe her not talking to me is a sign that she actually doesn't want to talk to me."

"I wouldn't give up on her, but I do think maybe you need a break, like something to take your mind off of the fact that she isn't talking to you. You know how when you need to find something, and you look and look, and you can't find it, but the second you forget about it and stop looking, it falls right in your lap?"

"Yes. I suppose you're right. I have kind of been obsessing, haven't I?"

"Yeah dude, a lot."



Remy laughed, and I chuckled along with him, knowing that he was right. I think my connection to Desiree was amplified because I felt like I was helping her the more I talked to her. Now that our connection had been interrupted, I felt like something was wrong. I don't know why I felt so strongly, I mean, it's not like I was her boyfriend or anything, but I did know she felt alone a lot of times, and I liked being needed, especially since my mom had made me feel so worthless all the time.

"I'm sorry if I've been a wierdo lately. I don't know why I'm so hung up on Desiree."

"Do you have a crush on her?"

"Not really. She's not my type, she's just a really good friend. I think I'm just wierded out because we used to talk a lot and now it's just tapered off. I think I'd feel the same way if all of a sudden you and I stopped talking with no explanation, you know?"

"Ahh yeah, I get that completely."


"How's the job hunting? Still looking like a desert?"

"Yeah. I'm thinking that I might actually open my options. Any time I look for jobs, I think I only look for what's interesting, so maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot. I need to stop being so petty about having a fun job. I think I'm jealous that you found something that fits you perfectly, and I'm over here just floundering."

"Oh, Armand, it's not a competition. It's okay. I like your idea though, just apply for a job somewhere you don't mind hanging out at all day. What about the comic book store? Maybe then you can bump into Desiree again, and you won't have to keep staring at your phone and obsessing over whether you'll see the three dots appear?"


"Wow, that's actually a really good idea, Remy, thanks for suggesting it. I don't know why I didn't think of it."

"Aww, it's okay, I'm just glad I could help. I know the comic book store lets you experience your artistic side, maybe working there will inspire you to paint even more awesome things."

I knew Remy was right, and I was going to take his advice the next day. My mom's voice was strong in my head today for some reason, and I heard her telling me I wasn't good enough at art and that's why I was not getting hired for any artistic jobs. 'Why are you such a difficult child?!' My thoughts drifted to the day I told her I hated her because she had taken me to a hair salon to cut my hair short. I know that's why I wear it long now, I am making up for what was taken away from me as a kid. In a lot of ways, I felt like I had a lot of growing up to do. I was definitely not feeling 22 in my heart, I felt like I was stuck with my mom lording herself over me. I wondered if I should see a therapist, but then again, I knew my parents had gone to counseling, and it didn't seem to have helped them worth a damn.



***********************************************************************************
Author's Note: The two officers here are supposed to be the same ones in the previous chapter, but their CC went missing in the five years I neglected both my game, and this story, so with MrsOB's permission, I was able to make the officers look decent again, but they do look a little different.




The New Orleans Police Department was a buzz as two officers and a prosecutor argued whether or not to charge Dale Butchet for the assault on his daughter. The two officers were the ones who had recently arrested the well known priest after an anonymous tip came in from an eyewitness to the alleged assault.

"I don't know if we have a case. He's a man of the cloth."



"Come on, Lauren. You can't be serious... Surely, you read our police report. I don't give a shit what his job is! The guy beat up his own fucking daughter on his own front porch in broad daylight!"

"It's not because I'm of the opinion that he should be pardoned. The man is scum. I'm just saying a jury might not turn on the community priest, so why waste my time trying the case when there are so many others waiting? I'd rather prosecute a case where someone actually got murdered."



"Wow. So you're just looking for a win, Counselor? Really?! It's our job to protect the people of New Orleans, and you're telling me that this person parading around in a priest's outfit can use his position as an excuse to be an absolute asshole?! Jesus Christ."

"Sorry, Lauren, I'm in agreement with my partner. It is true Butchet never killed anyone--"

"--That we know of."



"Jesus, Jake. Calm down. As I was saying, Butchet never killed anyone, but it's evident he's pretty unstable if he's willingly putting his own daughter in the hospital. Where's the justice for her? Does she have to die for you to care?"

Prosecutor Lauren Cazelton sighed heavily, thinking quickly of a solution that might give her a chance in hell of convincing a jury to convict a Catholic priest.




"You say in your police report that there was an eyewitness account, but that it was anonymous. Do you know why they tried to remain anonymous?"

"Obviously church gossip spreads, my guess is they didn't want to be seen as a tattle tale. No devout churchgoer wants to be the one who turned against their priest."

"Okay, is there any way you can find this witness?"

"Yeah, we can definitely do some research."

"It's a long shot, but if you can find me this anonymous witness, and convince them to testify, then I will charge Dale Butchet with aggravated assault."



"Aggravated assault?! He kicked his daughter in the fucking head! You don't kick someone in the head if you only intend to hurt them. You kick someone in the head because you want them off this planet!"

"How about aggravated assault with one count of reckless endangerment because he had no regard for what he was doing?"

"Is that the best you can do?"





"Unless you can get Dale Butchet to confess that he wanted to kill his daughter, I have no cause to up the charge to attempted murder. He didn't have a weapon, and the victim is his own daughter. The familial relation is the problem. People always have a hard time believing that family would actually kill each other, no matter how many times it happens. Juries are hard to convince, not to mention his priest status."

"Wait, there's one more thing, Lauren. Marilyn Butchet also gave us a statement saying that her and her two younger children were abused for years. She stayed in the marriage out of fear. You know, typical abusive spouse syndrome. However, if she can testify, that would help too, wouldn't it?"

"Yes, if she testifies to openly seeing her husband beat her other children, as well as prove that she herself was beaten then I can add child and spousal abuse to the charges."

"Looks like we got our work cut out for us, Jake."

"We better get on it, then."

6 comments:

  1. It's sad, isn't it that someone so unworthy of it can use his position as a member of the clergy to terrorize people and get away with it? I'm just glad Desiree is ok, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is very sad. It's annoying too, like, hopefully the police can get around that with all the damning evidence they have against him. We shall see. Desiree is on the path to healing, her physical being is fine, but her emotional state might take a little more work.
      Thanks for coming back to Echoes, Violincat! :)

      Delete
  2. HOLY SHIT, Desiree didn’t wake up for a MONTH? FUCK, hang on a second I need to set Dale on FIRE and pitch him off a CLIFF what the HELL. So happy that she did wake up though, omg. She’s proven to be a fighter, so I’ve no doubt that she’ll get through this, but fuckkkkk that she had to go through this in the first place.

    Also, wow: “I caused my mom to endure the heartache of her children being taken away from her, all because I chose to disobey my dad.” Oh no, honey, hell to the fucking NO. Your DAD caused your mom to endure the heartache of her children being taken away. It was never, ever you. Hearing her think this and wonder if she should submit to her father too breaks my whole damn heart, ughhhhhh. *SETS DALE ON FIRE AGAIN* FUCK, lol. Desiree did NOT break her family. In fact, she might have saved them. I hope, in the long run, that she’ll see this ☹

    Awww, poor Armand, thinking that Desiree doesn’t want to talk to him again or that she’s mad at him. No, baby, no...she’s just going through some shit and doesn’t want to pull you into it too...though she absolutely should. Reaching out isn’t weakness—it’s strength. I’m glad that Armand has Remy at least to keep him from worrying himself sick. A therapist wouldn’t be a bad idea either, though I know he feels a bit doubtful that could help. Though, fun fact! Couples counseling often ends up having the lowest success stats, but not because it sucks or anything like that...more because by the time a couple actually considers going, it’s often, well, too late. They’ve kind of made up their minds and are often just going through the motions attending. You’ve got to reallllly be committed to it—to really want to fix things with that person. I don’t think Patrick and Katya quite had that...particularly on Katya’s side. She really wasn’t an open-minded person, to say the least.

    Also, DHFJKSHFSDFHKSDF LOW-KEY WANTING TO DROPKICK A PROSECUTOR NEXT. Like, I sort of get her concern...like...would the jury prosecute considering who Dale is, but FUCK you can’t just let this GO, my gosh!!! Glad the other cops were adamant that letting it go wasn’t acceptable no matter who the fuck Dale is. Priests are still people, and this one nearly murdered his own daughter. Letting it go isn’t an option. I hope Desiree’s family has the courage and fortitude to speak up, because it looks like their voices will be needed to get justice. Gahhhhhh *fingers crossed*

    Another freaking wonderful chapter! So glad you're back and so excited to see what comes next! ♥

    -LilyShadowWriter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello LilyShadow! Heh, yeah being kicked in the head, after having her face smashed into the columns, caused Desiree's body some trauma, and it was not ready to wake up right away. Luckily the hospital was able to patch her up. LOL, FUCK DALE. *slaps him so hard*

      Isn't it crazy? A brainwashed person's thought process? It's like JAYSUS, what are you even saying right now, Desiree? Do you hear yourself? And then sadly, she does hear herself and she thinks it's normal. *heavy sigh* *rubs temples* LOL. Right? Desiree probably did save them! It's so cool that you saw that! If anything, she got the ball rolling towards shinier horizons.

      Yeah, poor Armand, has been in the dark through all of this. He saw her that one day on the bench, talked to her about her dad, she ran away from him because of her curfew, and she's not talked to him for a month, despite him sending her messages through that messenger app that drives him crazy LOL. IKR? If Desiree only knew... like, sure she has feelings she thinks, for Armand. The "connection" Armand was talking about is the start of him having feelings towards her even though he hasn't put that together yet LOL. Aww, haha I didn't know that about couples counseling, but it's so fitting that the facts matched up with my couples counseling shit with Patrick and Katya. Yes, definitely, Katya was not willing, and Patrick was more sick of everything, putting in one last ditch effort to try.

      LOL, the prosecutor, she has convictions on the brain, when the real part of her job should be JUSTICE. Some people's children. *shakes head* The police officers having seen the scene firsthand, were way more serious about the situation. They both believe they do the job to protect the people of New Orleans, as Officer Jake said, so why wouldn't they... uhh... do just that? LOL. The prosecutor was a lot more detached from the situation, she just has crime photos and a big ol' folder that came across her desk. Still... for her to be so crass, the crime photo is of a real live person of course. Sheesh. *slaps her* LOLL.

      Delete
  3. omg i havent seen the name "mrsoogieboogiee" is so longg lmaooo anyways

    first of all, i am checking out dylan respectfully 👀 lol who am i kidding, no im not. what's up, dylan? *wiggles eyebrows*

    i hate how desiree views herself as being so weak and thinking armand would think less of her in any way.. it's sad, but also relatable, and i can see where she's coming from. i just wish she didn't feel like that :'[ armand is a good guy and it sucks that she's been so beaten (emotionally and physically) so the point where that's what her mind makes her believe.. *sighs* and now she also blames herself for her mother getting her other children taken away just because she wanted to get out of the horrible situation she was in.. that's so much baggage to take on by yourself when nothing is your fault.. :[

    armandddddd *screams and runs around* i've missed your sweet adorable faceee! oh, hey remy *tucks hair behind ear* what's up? *hits on everyone* LOLL
    it sucks that both desiree and armand are feeling the same thing, wondering if they both screwed up or if one doesn't care for the other anymore.. JUST TALK YOU GUYSSS AHHHH but that's easier said than done. I LOVE YOU REMY, YOU ARE SO SMART AND A GOOD FRIEND! <3
    *chokes katya for making sweet armand feel the way he does about himself and his art*


    "I'd rather prosecute a case where someone actually got murdered." UMM???? EX-KEYY-USEEE ME??? *needs to calm down my rage* So... she was brutally beaten in broad daylight, but wasn't murdered in the process, so let's just throw out the case.. HFJAHFJAKHFJAHK *YELLS*
    "Does she have to die for you to care?" exactly!! ugh.. the police officers, i like them lol omg though, JUST aggravated assault? more like attempted murder!! *IS STILL SCREAMING ON THE INSIDE WITH RAGE* like, i understand completely that she's just doing her job, and she needs the evidence to actually do anything but.. still.. *screams again* i just want desiree to have some justice ;-; i do have faith in the police officers, though. they seem to really want to help desiree and i love that. i hope they can find more evidence to convict this asshole.. UGHHHHH

    great chapter AS ALWAYSSS because now im MAD and full of EMOTIONSSS LOLLL so happy this story is back and ily <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, hi Freckled Pixels. I've been so used to calling you MrsOogieBoogie. LMAO. I'll get used to the change eventually.

      Pahaha.
      Dylan: *waves coyly* Oh hey, what's up back at you?

      Poor Desiree indeed. She's been so messed up by her asshole father and her weakling of a mother that she has no idea how to be who she really wants. At least for her, she somewhat knows she doesn't enjoy being this way, so there's at least still hope for her.

      Armand: LOL, nice to see you again too.
      Remy: *blows kiss*

      Haha, this whole thing is about horrible timing. No one else but Desiree knows Armand exists, so no one but her is able to tell him what's going on with her. Since she was literally knocked out for so long, Armand has been kept in the dark just as long. It's hard for him to not think Desiree just ran away because of him LOL. Luckily Katya didn't mess him up so much that he thinks Desiree's dead or something LOL. Armand has been trying to reach Desiree through his messaging app this whole time, but sadly Desiree's emotional problems are making it hard for her to respond.

      LOL the police station scene was fun to write, I felt like I just remembered how some of the prosecutors in Law and Order argue with Olivia all the time and she's just like OMFG what?! Then I channeled both sides LOL. The police officers saw the crime scene firsthand so they definitely understand just how brutal Dale's attack was on Desiree. Little Miss Prosecutor just got the case file across her desk, and although the pictures of Desiree were awful, she's still detached from it. The police officers are so mad cause they have to go to scenes like Desiree's a lot, and they just wish people were nicer to each other, they hate seeing people get all beaten up, and they just want the system to work LOL. Especially since they KNOW when they arrested Dale, there was no question it was his fault. Testimonies should help since it's hard to counter someone who was actually there. Hopefully Dale doesn't slime his way out of it or something. He has proven to be quite manipulative.

      LOL, thanks for coming back to read this. ILY too ♥

      Delete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com