Monday, July 15, 2013

Maximus Eight: Sheer Panic

The car ride home was sort of refreshing in a way, probably just cause removing myself from Helena's presence was enough to make me feel better. I'm still annoyed, though. I feel bad for Noelle that Helena just railed on her like that, especially when she was new in town, and mad that Helena probably assumed I was hitting on her. One of the things my dad taught me when he was teaching me martial arts was to calm myself down through meditation. It helped a lot when I was growing up and living with Helena. Annoyingly, I still feel like I am living with her because she's so involved in mine and Soleil's life. I'm pretty sure that they're not best friends anymore. I still want to tell Soleil about my movie gig, but I've decided I'll just wait for her to text me or call since she does almost every day when she's done with class. Several deep breaths later, I am calm and collected.


BZZZ-BZZZ.

As if on cue, my phone vibrates on the rug where I am sitting. SOLEIL AVIGNON. Awesome, exactly the name I wanted to see. I pick up the phone, excited to talk to her, but am startled when I hear the panic in Soleil's voice. I can tell she's crying and she doesn't say much other than she needs me. I stand up quickly, grab my keys off the counter, and practically sprint out of my house, almost forgetting to lock the door behind me. I have no idea what could have gotten Soleil so worked up, but I have a feeling Helena may have told her about Noelle. I punch my steering wheel in anger from thinking about it. Nothing fucking happened, and now my girlfriend is crying hysterically. If I could, I would punch Helena's lights out, but I don't think it's right to hit women. I'm so sick of her bullshit and always having to fix the crap she pulls on Soleil. Thoughts of asking Soleil to move in with me come to mind, she could still go to school, but at least she'd have one less source of stress if she was away from Helena. I don't know how she'd take that though, I'd hate to make her feel smothered.


This traffic light. Come on, come on. I wish it would turn green already. The pain in Soleil's voice was heart wrenching. Suddenly it dawns on me that something else might be wrong with Soleil other than Helena, and my eagerness to get to her dorm rises even more. My heart's beating so fast at the moment. Finally the light turns green and I make the last few turns before arriving in her driveway. I bolt out of my car and run towards the front door. Unfortunately, I run into Helena, who tries to talk to me, but I don't care right now. All that matters is Soleil. I run to Soleil's room and knock on the door.


"Max, Soleil doesn't want to talk to anyone. She's been in her room since this afternoon."

"Shut the fuck up, Helena. You've done enough today."

"What are you talking about?"

"You told her about Noelle, didn't you?"

"Ooh, the girl has a name. I knew it!"


Helena points at me in an accusing manner. How I wish I could smack the shit out of her. Instead, I put my hand up defensively because I feel like she's going to poke my eyes out. Just then, Soleil opens the door. She pulls me into her room and buries her face in my chest.


"Max. I need you."

I wrap my arms around her and rub her back, trying to keep my own panic at bay so I don't freak her out even more. I close my eyes and take a couple of deep breaths as she continues to cry uncontrollably. After a few minutes, she runs out of tears, or her voice, I'm not sure which, and grabs fistfuls of my shirt in her hands. I pick her up, walk over to her bed, set her down on it, and sit down next to her. She's still traumatized so I put my arm around her waist and softly kiss her cheek.


"Soleil? Breathe. Deep breath. I'm here now."

I feel Soleil listen to my request and exhale a little bit. I decide that she needs more comfort, so I pull her a little closer to me and sit with my legs around her. She hugs her knees to her chest and rubs my neck. I massage her head to relax her.


"Max, I'm scared. I just found out some news that I don't know how to deal with."

I listen to her sentence and wonder what she could possibly be talking about. In the past when Helena has accused me of being a player, Soleil's never reacted this way. There has to be something else wrong, so I just patiently give Soleil some time to gather her thoughts.

"You and I are going to have a baby. I'm scared shitless, Max. I don't know how I'm going to do this, with school, and Helena, oh god, Helena, she's going to flip out and judge me, and she's going to tell me that you have to marry me and I know you don't want to be married, and I'm going to tie you down, and I'm going to get fat and you won't want to be seen with a fat girl, and-"

Soleil starts crying again. Did she really just say what I think she did? She's pregnant with my baby? I'm not sure what to say, other than dispel all her fears about me running away. I feel a tiny surge of excitement course through my body. I know she's feeling the exact opposite of me, so I wrap my arms around her to show her I'm not going anywhere.


"Soleil, it's ok, baby."

"You're not mad at me?"

"No, of course not. I'm sorry we weren't more careful that night after the party. You're not mad at me, are you, for getting you pregnant?"

"No. There's no one else I'd want to have a baby with. You're perfect, Maximus. The timing isn't ideal, but I'm not holding it against you. I'm just scared, I have no idea what it's going to be like and I'm already feeling like crap all the time. I've been sick for the past four days now. Not to mention, I'm not going to be able to drink for nine months? What the hell?"

Soleil laughs a little bit at her own joke, and I laugh with her, glad that she's starting to feel better. It will kind of suck for her that she can't party as much as she wants, I know she loves to do that. I promise to have no more drunk sex with her from now on, and she giggles.


"What am I going to do about class? I think I'll be fine the first few months, but when I start getting really fat, I don't know if I'm going to want to walk all over campus."

"How long do you have before the semester is over?"

"About three months, I think."

"I don't think the being fat comes until two months. I only know that because my mother was pregnant a lot. I can drive you to your classes if you don't feel up for walking."

"What about your auditions?"

"Well, I'll work them around your class schedule. I can tell my talent agent too that I'm not available on certain days."

Soleil trembles a little bit and she gets sad again. I squeeze her tighter and kiss her on the cheek.

"Max I don't want you to change your life for me. I can't do that to you. I don't want to be a burden."

I swing Soleil up on my lap and sit on the edge of the bed. I tickle her until she laughs, and then rub her hip.


"You, my darling, are not a burden to anyone, all right? I mean it. I accidentally got you pregnant, I will help you, and we will get through this together."

"Max, are you okay? You haven't told me what you felt, you just started trying to fix everything for me."

"I was pretty shocked, but then I got a little excited. I'm really glad we're not both in school, that way I can take care of the baby when it gets older and you need to go to class."

"You actually want to take care of it? How can you get any more perfect?"

"Well, yeah, I want to help you, and this baby is something we both share, so why wouldn't I? You're going to have to stop calling me perfect though, I'll probably disappoint you. Not that I'm planning on it, but I am only human."


Soleil moves around me, and puts her left leg over mine. She looks down at me, and gently takes my wrist in her hand. The sadness in her eyes makes my heart do somersaults, in a bad way, I hate seeing her like this. I chide myself in my head for saying I'd probably disappoint her, now she's probably thinking I did flirt with Noelle.

"Max, I need you to tell me something. Did you flirt with a blonde girl today?"


"No. I did not. What happened is this. I came over this morning looking for you because I had good news to tell you. I didn't see you, so I distracted myself with a game of pool. The front door opened after a little bit, and I thought it was you, but it wasn't, so I kept playing my game. I turned around and the girl was standing in front of me asking for directions to the financial loan office. She did hit on me, but I didn't flirt back. I told her I didn't go to school here, but that I was dating someone who was, and then she apologized for hitting on me. She did tell me what her name was, and I told her mine too. That's all that happened. I promise."

"Helena said you left with her. Was that true?"


"No. I didn't leave with that girl. After we exchanged names, she left to ask Helena for directions, except Helena yelled at her, so the girl left. I stood there for about five minutes, wondering if I should go home or stay in your dorm until you came back. I was irritated because I had a feeling Helena was yelling at the girl because she talked to me. I finally decided to go home because I didn't want to be around Helena anymore. I was at home, by myself meditating, when you called. I came over right away because you sounded so pained. I was really worried about you."

"I'm sorry I asked you that, Max. I trust you, I'm just so hormonal, I suppose. Ick, I hate using that word, it makes me sound like a basket case full of excuses. I came home today, feeling sick, and then Helena sprung that news on me. I didn't believe her because she's always such an idiot, but I'm sad to say it did make me freak out. It was like a compounded thing to worry about besides the baby. I probably freaked out more about telling you because of Helena telling me about that girl. I thought that if you had flirted with her, it was because you were sick of me already, and then I got scared that I'd have to raise the baby alone."

"Shh, it's okay."

"Wow, I'm such a bitch. I'm so sorry I didn't even give you a chance to tell me your good news. What is it?"


I laugh a little from Soleil calling herself a bitch. She's so blunt all the time.

"Soleil, you're nothing of the sort. Well, I got a call today that I'm going to get to be a movie extra this weekend. It's a two day job, but it's in town, so there won't be any problems with me being too far away from you."

"Oh my god! You got your first job? That's amazing. Congratulations."

"Thanks, baby."

"Ugh Max. I feel so much better now. You have that effect on me. What the fuck are we going to do about Helena?"

"Um, don't freak out, but I do have a house now, so, move in with me?"

I don't know what to expect from Soleil, but she pounces me and rests her arm on my chest, like she likes to do quite often.

"Yes, Maximus, a thousand times, yes."



Credits:

40 comments:

  1. i knew maximus wouldn't leave her but too bad guys today are not like that. as soon as they hear im pregnant it's adios

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL aww. Not all guys are assholes. I'm glad you had faith in Maximus. =D Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Loved the update! I'm glad Max proved me right and took it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Haha, of course he would. He's a nice guy. =D Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  3. *wipes tear away* Dawwwwwwwww Maxxxx, you big sweetheart you. I'm so happy for them, I feel like they're going to be such good parents T_T

    Helena though.. Um.
    *throws out window*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yes, Max and Soleil are such good people in general, despite Helena's stupid opinions. She just has to stereotype everything like an idiot. LOL.

      Delete
  4. *_* Just a window MrsOogie? I was kinda thinking the roof... of a particularly tall building...

    lol.
    Max is pretty fucking awesome!! Seriously, not only is he nice enough to be like "Sure lets do this thing babe." but, when he knows she's worried he worries to calm her down first, before reacting himself. People don't always realize it, but when you react inequality to your mate (with more or less enthusiasm or expectations or whatever) you create an disparity that the other person needs to fill to remain at balance in your relationship. But, if they're not prepared to fill that distance, it creates the beginnings of people literally drifting apart. So - if he reacted with glee at something she was nervous about it would ruin the balance of their relationship - which is part of why they work so well together, they push and pull at equal odds... they're equals...

    Anywhoo, enough of the crap from my communication class lectures. lmao
    I just love that whole interpersonal communication and Sociology crap. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. MrsOogie didn't specify how high the window was. It could be the window of a 200 story building. *evil grin* LMAO.
      It's okay, that thing you said about the equality between partners is really interesting. Haha, I didn't know that was the reason people drift apart. I learned something today, thanks MandySaurus! You're awesome. LOL. I like psychology, the mind is an intriguing thing, which I know is different from Sociology, but yeah. Haha.
      Max and Soleil are like truly in sync with each other. There is no power struggle going on, which is like what I see a lot of times in unequal couples. One keeps trying to be "better" than the other one, or be "right" when they fight. I don't understand that. It's just annoying.

      Delete
    2. *climbs on top of skyscraper, throws off*
      No, wait..
      *goes skydiving* Come on, it'll be fun, Helena.. >:D
      *doesn't give a parachute, pushes off plane*
      Better? LOLL XD

      Delete
    3. LMAO. It's so fun to torture Helena. Ugh she's such an idiot.

      Delete
    4. YES! I approve totally :D

      LMAO

      Delete
    5. OMG this comment stream. ROFL. It's making me laugh so much. I <3 you guys.

      Delete
  5. "How I wish I could smack the shit out of her."

    This is actually my favorite thing to say to a lot of people...mostly about my sister...go figure!

    Love love love this chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! LMAO you have an annoying, nagging sister too? Haaha. Thank you for the compliment and for reading and commenting. =D

      Delete
  6. Phew! I'm all better now after reading this chapter. So excited that they're moving in together and having a baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEE! Yayy, hahaha. Yeah, Helena can't split them up, they like and trust each other too much. No worries there. LOL. I'm excited to see what the baby looks like. =D

      Delete
  7. Just when I didn't think I could love Max anymore, and he proves me wrong. What a good guy! Soleil is so lucky to have someone like that. I love them together. Helena though, needs to get laid so she can have her own life to deal with. I laughed at the part where you mentioned his mom being pregnant a lot. LOL you can say that again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yeah I put that part in about his mom cause I wanted him to be all caring and making sure Soleil doesn't think like "How did he know that? Has he knocked someone else up before?" LOL. Max is very mature for how young he is, but he's a great guy, I'm glad you love him. =D Helena, yeah, she's just... I don't know, a dumbass? Hahahaha.

      Delete
  8. Oh I'm really glad they were sensible about it all and everything is going to work out okay. I think moving away from Helena is a very good idea she is going to split them up eventually the way she is carrying on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, haha, they need less stress in their life and Helena is a big source of it. It was like perfect timing that Max just happened to have a house they could go to.

      Delete
  9. Yeah I must admit I was concerned that this might break Soleil and Max up. I am relieved it didn't. Hooray they are getting rid of Helena. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Nope, Max is a good guy and he is really totally completely head over heels in love with Soleil. LOL. He wouldn't leave her for nothing. Hahaha, yess, go away Helena, you homewrecker. ROFL.

      Delete
  10. Maximus really is a keeper. I'm happy that he's so calm and accepting of the baby news. I think moving away from Helena is the best thing for them both ... and hopefully, Helena will realise that they really are in it for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, first of all, major apologies to you for not replying to this comment earlier! Things get lost in my email sometimes, unfortunately.

      Max loves Soleil a lot, and there was no way he was going to leave her. LOL, agreed, moving away from Helena will be a lot less stress on them both. Helena realize things? Hmm.. not too sure about that one, LOL. We can hope though.

      Delete
  11. Aww, we knew Max would be a standup guy -- saying & doing all the right things. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well that's good that you had no doubts about him. :)

      Delete
  12. Uh-oh Helena's not going to like this. But im glad Max was supportive I figured he would be happy but I dont know how long that will last....a baby changes everything. Soleil is trying to get away from Helena but I dont think that will last....Helena would be a great babysitter....shes so overprotective but I don't know how shes going to feel once she finds out Max is the father hell she might even accuse Soleil of lying to him and she might try and say that baby isn't his....you never know with Helena lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pahaha, no she won't, but who says they're going to tell her? She'd most likely go all religious on them saying they sinned because they had sex before marriage. *rolls eyes* Aww, haha, Max is slowly learning things about life as he grows up, and yes, a baby changes everything, that statement is so true, haha, but depending on the person, it doesn't have to be a bad change.

      You think Helena would drag Soleil back to live with her? LOL, Soleil and Max take care of each other, they're not going to listen to Helena even if Helena doesn't want them to live together. They're both adults, and they're independent, so they'll do what they think is right.

      Haha, Helena would be a very annoying babysitter probably. LOL. She would make the kid do everything her way and then get frustrated when the kid doesn't do what she wants, without realizing it's a kid, and kids misbehave.

      LOL that last part of your comment sounds exactly like something Helena would say, but I didn't make her do that in the story. XD

      Delete
  13. Max does very well for a pretty young man. He not only collects himself in this sequence, but also helps Soleil to gather herself. He offers her not only support, but somehow guidance into their future, too. So wonderful to see him practicing meditation at this age -- his father has taught him some very precious things, and he was wise to learn and cultivate them.

    I love the name Soleil, but her surname is even better -- Avignon! It reminds me of Lawrence Durrell's Quintet that I fully enjoyed reading. It made me want to visit the city, which I did some years ago. Soleil and Avignon go really perfect together in my memories and now in your character!

    Like I used to defend Catherine in my novel against accusations of being a monster, cruel, snobbish -- I just want to say that Max and Soleil could thank Helena not only for introducing them, but for bringing them closer together. It was Helena's gossiping that got Soleil over the top, and I feel this is what led her to open her heart to Max. Otherwise, I fear, she could have hidden it a few days or weeks more, who knows? The couple in love has their feelings put to test by Helena, and on the verge they seem more inclined to open up to one another. Helena seems to be bitching them, but it could also be seen as a help and a blessing in disguise, when they reacting to their opponent, they seem to stick the most to one another as a couple. That's my feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max is very smart, for his age, and he was very lucky to have met his father, who is a martial arts instructor, and could teach him skills like meditation.

      Thank you! I love Soleil's name, I love the way the French language sounds, so many of my names have a French base. I'm glad you liked it so much! :)

      Haha, yeah, I suppose I could see your point, but Helena didn't actually formally introduce them to each other. Soleil just saw Max and was like "ooh hot guy" the first time she saw him. Helena doesn't like Soleil's player personality, so she was actually disappointed when Soleil showed interest in her brother. Maybe I should just make it clear here that Helena doesn't actually like Max and Soleil dating each other.

      Because Soleil is pregnant, she has a surge of hormones racing through her, which made her scared and emotional, and unable to think clearly. Helena's gossip made it worse, and amplified her fears to an exponential level. Without Helena's gossip, Soleil would have gathered her wits as best she could, and told Max about her condition because like Soleil thought at the end of the last chapter, she couldn't bear to give up the baby because Max was a part of it.

      You are correct, however, that Helena's actions bring the couple closer together and that it is Max and Soleil's reactions to Helena that bring them closer. However, it is a side effect, because Helena herself doesn't do this to make them closer, she's trying to get them to see they are bad for each other, so she tried to plant a seed of doubt here in Soleil's mind by gossiping to her.

      Delete
  14. Awww, I'm so glad Max took the news so well. He's such a sweetheart! <3 I'm glad that they can talk so openly with one another without the worry of a misunderstanding coming between them. And yay for them moving in together! haha So excited to see the baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh huh! Max really loves Soleil, he wasn't about to let a life change take that love away, even if it's a scary one. With them, communication is everything, and they really put that fear aside of "what if" so it really helps them just say things out in the open. :D IKR? It's perfect timing, Max got a house, and Soleil really needs to get out of that dorm. Heeehee, the baby! XD

      Delete
  15. Max is perfect :o Pink haired actor studd who has his own house and doesn't run at the sound of baby!? Lmao. Good chapter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he is, LOL. I really liked writing his character. I feel like men get a bad rep in this world sometimes, so I wanted to write a man who wasn't so stereotypical. Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it LOL. Max really does love Soleil, and love means supporting your partner, even when it scares you. Now they can face the scary stuff together. :)

      Delete
  16. Ok I can take a break now. I had to see how that talk would go. I had no doubt that Max would be a stand up guy and be there for her and the baby. Helena...judgy, I'm better than everyone Helena is about to have a fit I'm sure about how they are doing wrong with their life and blah blah blah. I'm excited to see the little guy.

    Oh yeah, forgot to say this in the other chapter, but Max's dad is kinda cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL aww. I'm happy you were excited to see how the talk was going to go. Yes, heehee, Max's love for Soleil showed through in this chapter, if anyone had any doubts of him loving her, this chapter should have cleared any doubts. Not that you doubted. Haha, just saying. :)
      Hahaha, we'll see what happens with Helena, and if she finds out, and if she does... she's sure to blow her top in true Helena fashion. XD Ugh, the little baby is so adorable.

      Aww thanks, Max's dad is super hot and I enjoyed that he shared his genetics with Max. LOL. Even though.. yeah it's a given, but I still appreciate it.

      Thank you for reading and leaving me all these wonderful comments. :)

      Delete
  17. I knew Max would let her down and he would take care of her and the baby. He was so sweet the way he calmed down all of her fears and thankfully he asked her to move in with him. No more Helena! Looking forward to seeing the baby who has got to turn out to be a cutie, look at the parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, of course, haha, Max is in love with Soleil, even if he's scared to admit it at the moment, LOL, but no way he was going to leave Soleil. IKR? Helena at least won't be in their lives daily screwing with them. She's still his sister though, so she probably won't be cut off completely, that would be slightly cruel. Haha. Eeee, the baby! Haha, thanks for the compliments. XD

      Delete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com