Saturday, July 12, 2014

Patrick Nineteen: Watch Your Back


Friday was here, and I was under the stage of the Pantages with Emmanuel, getting ready to test the trapdoor platform. My security detail, Francis, whom I had hired recently, was patrolling the hallways, and had been since we got here, making sure no one went in or out of the underneath part of the stage. I had begun protecting myself at shows with my bodyguard in an attempt to prevent a repeat of what had happened at the Starlight Theater seven years ago. Seven years? Had it really been that long since I was at the Starlight? I didn't want to say it 'felt like yesterday' but I had never expected time to go by that quickly. I had been performing here for about three months now, and so far, everything had being going smoothly. This was the first time since going back to work that I was going to be performing my buried alive illusion again, and I wanted to make sure it wouldn't end up like it had last time. It helped that the rig for the platform at the Pantages was multiple times thicker than the one at Starlight, so it wouldn't be so easy to tamper with.


"Ready?"

I nodded, and Emmanuel pulled the lever that opened the trapdoor. We had put the coffin for the buried alive illusion on it as a test run to check if everything was working properly. In hindsight, I should have done this when I first started working with trapdoors, but I couldn't change that now. I was just lucky I lived to learn from my mistakes. We heard a click and the door opened, revealing the box, which was coming down on the platform like it should, gently and slowly. Unlike last time, one of the three of us had been under the stage the whole time we were setting up for my show, so we would have seen someone try to mess with my equipment. If something happened this time, only one of us was to blame. After one more run through of the order of tricks I was going to do for the night, it was showtime.


I performed a few parlor tricks, such as turning my wand into a bouquet of flowers, then handing them to a lady in the front row, as well as sawing Ephemera in half and then successfully putting her back together. After a little more misdirection, I built up to what the crowd had been waiting to see tonight. My buried alive illusion. I waved my hands around, generating some little blue energy balls in my left palm, and then revealed the coffin I was going to be placed in, the one that Emmanuel and I had tested earlier. I stood on top of it, and Ephemera spun it around, showing the audience that it was one solid piece of wood with no secret openings.


I stepped off of the coffin and Ephemera opened it, spinning it around once more to show the audience it was just a regular coffin. Then I got inside it. Ephemera shut the lid and then I heard her hammering it closed. I also heard some gasps from the audience, and chuckled to myself. I listened for the knock on the lid that Ephemera always did to let me know the curtain had been put down, as that was my queue to start my escape. I felt the box start to move as it was being lowered. Once I got down to the bottom of the stage, I popped open a panel that contained the trick handle for the lid. Ephemera had indeed nailed the lid shut, but what the audience didn't know was that the actual lid was thicker. The fake lid had just enough space for nails to be put into it, but it wasn't deep enough to actually nail the coffin shut. After getting out of the coffin, I shut it, climbed onto the top of it, and signaled Emmanuel to raise it back up. All this happened in a matter of less than two minutes.


After my grand finale, the audience applauded, and I felt amazing, having successfully pulled off the illusion without any complications, until I saw Katya's face. She looked sad, as if she was longing for something. People began filing out of the auditorium, and I started packing up my stage props. I was getting quite fast at cleaning everything up, and with Emmanuel and Ephemera there to help, we were done in no time. I felt like celebrating, so I invited everyone to come with me to a late dinner. Emmanuel and Francis said they were going to drop the equipment off first before going to the restaurant, which I agreed was a good idea. I went over to Katya and helped her out of her seat, giving her a hug as she got up. We walked out of the auditorium, and just as we were entering the hallway, someone tapped me on my shoulder.


"Too bad I wasn't successful at that last attempt on your life. You better watch your back, Hunter."

I turned around, but no one was there. Someone was trying to kill me? I knew that competition wanted me off the scene because I had an illusion that was the most unique in town right now, and that was why my equipment had been sabotaged, but they had wanted to go so far as murder? I secretly hoped Katya hadn't heard that because the last thing I wanted to do was quit my magic career. I loved it, and I had never let fear stand in the way of anything I did, which was the reason I was so successful. I knew I was a threat, especially for Jaxson Santorini. He wasn't exactly unpopular, people still liked his stuff, and his face was on billboards all over town, but he wasn't the newest act around anymore. As far as I know, he was still at the Starlight, and me being at the Pantages was probably something he despised. Of course, I had no evidence to convict Jaxson of anything, even though I was fairly certain he was the one behind the threat. I knew he was jealous when I got a gig at the Starlight, as if I was intruding on his territory. I wondered why if he was so famous, he'd never been offered an upgrade to the Pantages, but I'd be willing to guess his attitude rubbed people the wrong way. He was a great magician, but his people skills were horrendous.


I took a walk with Katya to The Plaza after dinner. The city lights were gorgeous, and I had managed to put that death threat out of my mind for the night. I stayed in my theater clothes because I was having a lot of fun, and I wasn't about to let the wierd occurrence damper my mood. Katya and I sat down on a bench to spend some time together.

"Patrick, your show was great, but what did that person mean when they said 'their last attempt at your life was unsuccessful?' Do you have enemies? I'm scared."

Fuck. She heard that. I looked at Katya, trying to make her feel less scared, but I didn't really know if that was even possible. She had already almost lost me once, it's no wonder she was afraid.


"Ahh, well... Jaxson Santorini has always been my main competition. He didn't like it that I got so popular at Starlight. I have a feeling he might have been the one who tampered with my equipment that night."

"How are you going to stay safe, Patrick? He's threatening you again, obviously."

"I have my security detail, he's good, he's ex-military. I can tell him to make sure Jaxson stays away from anything I own. Francis always goes with the truck to pick up and drop off the equipment."

"What about while it's in storage?"

"I've got a secure location that's always locked up. I'll be okay, Katya."

"I hope so, I just... I can't go through that again, thinking I'd almost lost you. I love you."


"I love you too. That's why I hired Francis, and I'm way more careful about my equipment, and who I let hang around it. I've learned from my mistakes, and I can keep myself safe. You can trust me. I don't want to be in that situation again either."

Katya nodded, and smiled, briefly looking away from me for a split second. I couldn't tell if her smile had reached her eyes or not, but something in the back of my mind told me that it had not.

30 comments:

  1. i can understand why katya is scared. if i was him i would have two security guards and guard dogs near his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... O_O having your husband receive a death threat after having suffered a coma... anyone would be completely scared out of their mind. LOL. It's how you deal with the fear that makes or breaks a person.
      Haha, guard dogs, that's a thought. :D

      Delete
  2. Wow that's really scary :S Katya is scared for a good reason but it seems like Patrick really knows what he's doing. I'm a little scared his competition may go after his wife and son but it mostly seems like he just wants Patrick out of the picture, not for him to suffer for something. Great chapter!
    ~YoujustgotLokid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Katherine! Thanks for reading and commenting, I don't think I've ever seen a comment from you. :) Nice to meet you.

      Patrick is intelligent, and he's taken safety measures now that he knows there is danger. He's also not trying to let the fear rule him, or it would drive him crazy. It is pretty scary to know that there's someone out there who wants to end you O_O, especially when you have already been put in a coma by someone.
      Hehe, you're right, the competition doesn't really give a shit about his wife and son, they just want to scare Patrick into being too afraid to perform, so that the competition can be the top dog. Competition's a sore loser, and just wants a monopoly instead of oh you know, actually competing to be better. LOL.

      Delete
  3. Good job at a successful show, Patrick! :D yayy!
    That death threat was.. Creepy O_O wtf?? Even though Patrick thinks it's Jaxson who's been tampering with his equipment, I can't help but not trust anyone else.. I have a few people in my mind that I want to like, but now I feel like I can't trust any of them.. Ugh, I wish I knew who was doing this, I'd beat their ass for Patrick >:D LOL
    I can understand Katya's worry about Patrick's safety, but I wish that she would understand that none of this is Patrick's fault, he's good at what he does and he shouldn't stop doing what he loves! >_< I feel like she just brings down his mood all the time for how scared she is for him, and even how she treats Armand. I feel like she can never just be happy for him T_T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick: Thank you, thank you. *takes a bow*
      Death threats are scary as fuck. O_O
      LOL, well it's not Emmanuel, he's Patrick's best friend, and he was the one who saved Patrick when his accident happened. It's also not Ephemera because she stays upstage all the time and she likes the money Patrick pays her to be his assistant, she wouldn't sabotage him. Sweet we'll hire you as Patrick's second bodyguard. LOL.
      IKR? Katya lets fear run her life way too often. She gets scared of not fitting in, so she tortured Armand with the bad haircut to appease her 'friend.' Now she's scared of losing Patrick, so she might do something to ensure that it doesn't happen. T_T She definitely doesn't show that she trusts Patrick to take care of things, even if she tries to tell herself she does trust him. You're right about her bringing down his mood, she's not a very supportive partner at all, she'd rather whine a little bit, and then when Patrick sees she's in a bad mood, he tries to make her feel better. She's definitely taking more than she is giving in this marriage.

      Delete
  4. Patrick's upped his security a lot, and he's taking precautions because he loves his job, and he's not going to let anyone scare him out of it. He's not dwelling on the fear, instead he is using it to make him stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who is threatening the family, I hope we find out very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The person is only threatening Patrick, just to scare him because the person is jealous of Patrick's success. Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  6. So glad that Patrick is back to doing what he enjoys. t's a good thing that he has Francis for security as it seems he's going to need it. Wish that Katya was more supportive of him instead of always needing reassured herself. I hope she doesn't let fear get the best of her and try to make Patrick quit doing what he loves. That would be the worst thing she could do but some how I wouldn't put it past her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Patrick is resilient, and he knew what he wanted, so he was for sure going to keep on doing it, as well as do anything he could that would allow him to keep continuing his magic. Patrick refuses to let fear rule him, which is more than I can say for Katya...
      Patrick definitely does not have a supportive wife, and he wishes he did. In the last chapter, we saw how much Katya always needs to be coddled, hopefully she doesn't push Patrick's buttons too much, as everyone has their limits. Even though for now Patrick still loves her enough to try to accommodate her as much as he can, he would not agree with her if she tried to make him quit. Making him quit his job is definitely something that is in her personality to attempt.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad that his show was successful and that there weren't any complications other than Jaxon's, if that was who made it, threat. Hopefully Katya doesn't completely freak out; Patrick's upped his security and she should trust him to make his own choices on what to do concerning the admittedly creepy death threats. Unless the person actually manages to hurt Patrick or threatens the family, I think she needs to try and remain calm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick was happy too that he had a successful show. He's doing very well with his job, and of course, that's the time when Katya would freak out. LOL. The person's threat is them trying to make Patrick scared enough to quit, but they underestimate Patrick and his inner courage. Katya, on the other hand, is scared, and the threat made her have the reaction the person wished Patrick would have had. The person has no intentions of hurting the family, luckily. XD

      Delete
  8. Not going to repeat all said above, no worries *g* I just wanted to leave a comment to let you know I love the update, and hate to wait for more information on the hidden enemy ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi anna! :) Nice to see you pop up randomly. :) Heehee,.. the hidden enemy is probably not going to be much of a surprise to everyone when he is revealed.
      Thank you for reading and commenting. I am glad you enjoyed. XD

      Delete
  9. I'm glad Patrick is being more careful about his equipment and who he lets around it. And the added security adds some protection too, but that threat. . .I just hope that the precautions are enough. Poor Katya, so worried about him. I hope they find out who it is before they're able to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick has successfully learned from his mistakes. :D The threat is creepy for sure. Now that his team and security are alert, it will be more difficult for the person to do anything to him. Katya is starting to freak out because she almost lost him once, she would hate if anything happened to him again.

      Delete
  10. I loved this chapter, but Poor Katya. She has a real reason to be worried for Patrick. I'll die if something else happens to him. Seriously...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a death threat is creepy. O_O
      LOL, Patrick's my sexy heir, nothing else will happen to him. XD

      Delete
  11. Congrats to Patrick for surviving the buried alive illusion. Death threats are no joke. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, his safety measures he put in for this show paid off. O_O The person threatening him definitely rattled Katya's cage.

      Delete
  12. Patrick learned from his mistakes and put on a great show! Katya needs to cheer up and be a little bit more supportive. I seriously think Jaxson was the one that tampered with his equipment, and I think it was Jaxson that said those chilling words to him. Patrick is pretty brave, if someone said something like that to me...I would've called the cops right on the spot. Katya is right for being concerned, they have a son together. Patrick better be careful...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, Patrick implemented a bunch of safety measures, and he's not going to let himself be hurt again. Katya is not being a very good wife right now, LOL, it's fine to be scared, but Katya seems to be leaning more towards being completely paranoid when she should have a little faith in her husband. Patrick is a daredevil, and I felt like bravery comes along with being a daredevil. Haha, he could have called the cops, but if the person left, then... the cops can't really do much without evidence, so it would have been a waste of time. You can't just call the cops cause you're scared, I mean, you can, but there's not much they can do about it. LOL. Patrick is being careful, and he has taken the threat seriously, he just doesn't think he should show fear because he feels like that's exactly what the person wants.

      Delete
  13. Ah yay. I'm so glad that the trick went off without a hitch this time! Whew. Katya, Katya, Katya. Will you ever be happy? *sighs*

    Jaxson?! That dastardly fiend! LOL jk, jk. But really. Is he behind it? Is he responsible for Patrick's accident all those years ago? Did he hook up with Emmanuel that night, not only for the release, but in order to distract him and plot out how to implement his plan to do away with Patrick aka Hunter? Dun-dun-dun. lol Omg. The plot thickens and mystery abounds! What happens next?! I need to know. And so I shall find out. Right. Now. ;)

    Fantastic chapter. As always. :) And, please excuse my silliness. I'm in a good mood and feeling a bit silly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! I loved writing about the magic trick, I love magicians, they're quite sexy. *fans self* Hmmm I don't know... you'll have to read on to find out if Katya and happiness ever meet.

      LMAO, sorry, I can't answer that either, but most suspicions point to Jaxson. If you've paid attention, which you clearly have, LOL, Jaxson is the number one person of interest. Pahaha, I love your theories about him plotting Patrick's demise while sleeping with Emmanuel. But that is one thing I will answer. The answer is no, Jaxson being with Emmanuel that night was not because he wanted to distract him and plot against Patrick. XD Jaxson was at the Starlight that night because he works there, and he saw Emmanuel, so he felt like he should go bother him. LOL. And then it turned into a night of hot man sex. You are pretty lucky too cause generation two is over, so you don't have to wait for updates to answer your questions. :D

      Aww, thanks so much. :) LOL, no worries about your silliness, I'm very happy you're in a good mood. Also... ehh, I'm pretty silly too, so I can relate, and I greatly enjoyed your comment. XD

      Delete
  14. WTF, so someone had tried to kill him!!! I knew that wasn't an accident. Um, Katya behavior is almost making me think maybe she had something to do with it now. That smile at the end, the way she looked while at the show. She has lost her mind so I'm not sure what's going on. I hope I'm wrong, but I am not liking Katya these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Haha, that part of it is now revealed. XD
      You'll find out which person had a major hand in it later on, but Patrick's going to be tightening up security even more now that he knows the attempt on his life was actually just that. LOL. You think Katya had something to do with it? XD Her expression at the show was her being unhappy because things haven't been going the greatest for her these days. At the end, her smile didn't reach her eyes because she didn't fully believe that Patrick would be able to keep himself safe. One thing is for sure, she is not happy with her life at the current moment.

      Delete
  15. Its good that Patrick is beefing up security but something tells me that they just shouldn't assume that its Jaxson. Maybe I watch too many soap operas but usually the most obvious is not the guilty party at all. I'm not too trusting of Katya right now. She looks like she is becoming another Helena and this might be a good way to get Patrick to quit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assumptions are never good, that's correct, they should keep their eyes open for anything and everything. Jaxson is definitely up there on the suspect list considering he'd have the most to gain if Patrick quit. Heehee, I'm glad I can keep you on your toes. I won't spill anything now and just let you find out through the story who is actually behind it all. XD Thanks for sharing your theories though. :)

      Delete
  16. Its good that Patrick is beefing up security but something tells me that they just shouldn't assume that its Jaxson. Maybe I watch too many soap operas but usually the most obvious is not the guilty party at all. I'm not too trusting of Katya right now. She looks like she is becoming another Helena and this might be a good way to get Patrick to quit.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me and Armand what you thought!

No. of Echoes

About

Rated: R. Echoes of Eternity is a chronological story best read from Chapter One. It will deal with topics of all kinds, including some that are uncomfortable.

Followers

Awards

Awards
Thank you, Stormy, Julie, Andante Zen, sandybeachgirl, lovesstorms, TheJanesLegacy, and Lckygrl1975!
Copyright © Echoes of Eternity | Powered by Blogger
Design by SimpleWpThemes | Blogger Theme by NewBloggerThemes.com